watch out p-dogs and yotes

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by winger, Feb 10, 2006.

1. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Well after deciding I wasn't a single shot type guy, I decided to trade in the NEF on something different. Brought this home from the gun shop yesterday.

[​IMG]

mounted the scope and loaded up a couple different rounds for it and off to the range tomorrow. Howa 22-250. Should be a tack driver.

2. you might wanna try those winchester varmit packs. They shoot awesome for me and there alot cheaper. But that is a sweet gun. They dont make a better varmint caliber. Congratulations .

chad

3. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    That's an awesome lookin gun there wingmaninmo!
    Bet she shoots better than she looks!
    :cheers::cheers:

4. What type of optics is that sitting on there?

chad

5. kcraider21

kcraider21 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Belton, MO
  6. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    what is on there now is a bsa 6X24X44. had it on my .17 but took it of to go ahead and start messing around with this one. will probably end up putting a better scope on it when the play funds get back up to where they need to be. for now this will do.

7. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    that is just plain sweet,congrats

8. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    that looks to be the excat same howa i have you will really like it.
    I have had really good luck with hornady v-max in the 40 grain they seem to shoot really good.

9. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    hfff,

do you reload? if so what is your recipe? 40 grain v-max happens to be my pet load for my .223 (which is also a howa) i loaded up several round with imr4064 and a few with varget.

i have high hopes for this rifle. if it shoots anything like the .223 there will be some mass destruction come may.

10. Im a hardcore 223 man but that 250 will spank a 223 past 300 all day long.

chad

11. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    acuattally my brother reloads i really don't have enough time to get it done he keeps in in a pretty good supply of shells i just povide him with some of the goods to do it.

the hornadys i have been shooting are just the factory loads it is amazing how accurate hornady loads are.

i haven't accuattly bout any hornady bullets yet for him to work me up a load with them so i can't help you with any v-max loads
    i have several for other bullets but not for the v-max
    the sad thing is i need to be reloading as dan has a extra press scale and everything he told me to take but its hard to do that when he will do it for me hahaha

12. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    good luck, i assume you didn't trade the NEF straight up for that rifle. but if you did you're the best horse trader i've seen.:D

13. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Good deal, wingman! Having burned up a .22/250 barrel or two, :eek: I can tell you that you got a good one. Don't let it get too hot PDogging, now. For your 40s, I always liked VArget for top speeds(4350fps) and fine accuracy, H4895 for pure accuracy (wasn't nearly as fast, though). I don't think the 40s are really the way to go, though, try 50s or 55s, and take advantage of that big case. The 40s are like whiffleballs in the SD wind, NOT the best choice for anything over 300 yards (I really tried, but couldn't get them where I wanted them, if the wind blew, and it ALWAYS blows in SD). Try Varget with 50s(3800-3900fps), and you'll probably quit load development pretty quick! Good looking rig!

14. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    wingman, how much does that rifle weigh?

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    sweet piece... exactly what ive been plannin to buy as my next toy... definately looks like a shooter for sure!

16. When we goin' ;).

Sweet lookin' shooter WM :cheers:

17. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    That is a sweet looking rig............:cheers:

18. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

very nice indeed

19. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    thanks for the load info glenn, i will give them a try. the wind in western kansas is always a given as well. probably not as bad as the dakotas but definately a factor.

jim, no, i didn't get the new england traded straight across, i wouldn't even be able to look at myself if the mirror if he would have went for that. took a couple of bills along with it. as for rifle weight, if isn't a walk around all day rifle. without the scope it comes in just over 9 pounds.

pretty happy with it. i will have to get a trigger job done on it. the trigger has some creep in it. after getting used to it the rifle has definate potential.