Washing Deer

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by DADAKOTA, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Who washes the deer out once it is field dressed. The only time we have is if someone gut punches one. Also we skin the deer as soon as it is hung. Anyone hang with the skin on?

2. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Like to use a small torch to singe off any hair/grass/etc. Then always a light rinse to clean any debris left over.
    Minimize Moisture though.

3. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    no wash, no skinnin, straight to the processor :pop:

4. brownanddown

brownanddown New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Franklin County
    I ALWAYS hose out our deer as soon as we get the back to the house. Rinse out all the blood and funk that was left from the gut job.

Then, I hang them in the barn with their skin on...temperature permitting. If it is good and cold, I may let them hang for a couple of days. If it is warm, I'll skin them and quarter them out right then and there.

The idea is to get the meat to cool as soon as possible...

5. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Since I started being able to use the walk in cooler at work... I wash'em out, hang'em with the hide-skin on for 4-7 days with the thermstat set on @ 40 & then peel pff the hide and get to the knife work. :cheers:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I usually hit the cavity with a garden hose. Let hang with the skin on till I'm ready to process. Keeps things moister. We do whole muscle only. No grinding. Yotes & possums gotta eat to ya know.:D

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    The meat cools faster with the skin off. Never had a problem with the meat drying out.

8. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1867425&tid=130002&author=knockemdeadd]no wash, no skinnin, straight to the processor :pop:[/rquote]

Thats why I process at home

9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1867446&tid=130002&author=DADAKOTA]The meat cools faster with the skin off. Never had a problem with the meat drying out.[/rquote]

The skin of the meat itself dries out & makes it harder to get the silver skin off. I don't worry about them cooling down faster. If it's not cold enough to let them hang, I immediately skin, quarter & ice anyhow.

10. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wash it out good with garden hose, clean off any debris. hang with hide on for a couple days in the cooler process after that. If everyone skinned theirs before it went into the walk in, that would be differnt. But Im not gonna have the only naked deer, catching all the hair off everyone elses.

[rquote=1867446&tid=130002&author=DADAKOTA]The meat cools faster with the skin off. Never had a problem with the meat drying out.[/rquote]

If it is a little warm out, which it has been for the last couple years the hide keeps flys and bugs off, and if you pack the cavity with ice blocks the hide holds the cold inside better
    :02:

11. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    I always rinse the cavity out with a garden hose and if it cold enough outside I wwill leave it hand for 4 or days with the hide on it dont skin it right away unless it is too warm and I have to work it up right away.

12. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    If it is warm we skin, quarter, and put in coolers with bagged ice. I don't let the meat get wet with melted ice.:cheers:

13. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    They say not to wash them out, but I have in the past. I can't tell the difference.

I usually skin out and hang.

14. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    You gotta hose 'em off to get the hair and debris off the deer.

15. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1867473&tid=130002&author=DADAKOTA]If it is warm we skin, quarter, and put in coolers with bagged ice. I don't let the meat get wet with melted ice.:cheers:[/rquote]

You will still get condensation on the meat if you close the coolers. I prefer either quartering and putting in a fridge, walk in cooler, or cool outddor temps. Plastic bags and coolers promote bacterial growth. Moisture is an enemy of quality meat. If none of those are avialable, I will process warm, better than aging it with moisture IMO. :shrug:

16. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I don't typically rinse with water, but will if its gut shot or something nasty. I usually hang for a few days with the hide on if its cold enough (and I usually wait for cold weather to shoot a deer). Then skin it and start deboning/processing.

17. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I usually skn them while they are warm because it's easier. Sometimes I leave the skin on depending where we are hunting. I've not noticed any difference in the meat by letting it hang with hide on or off. :cheers:

18. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    I like to skin them asap. Hide is dirty and the meat cools better IMO. We all have our ways, take em for what they're worth. :cheers:

19. bvp81

bvp81 Active Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Chaffee, Mo
    [rquote=1867430&tid=130002&author=brownanddown]I ALWAYS hose out our deer as soon as we get the back to the house. Rinse out all the blood and funk that was left from the gut job.

Then, I hang them in the barn with their skin on...temperature permitting. If it is good and cold, I may let them hang for a couple of days. If it is warm, I'll skin them and quarter them out right then and there.

The idea is to get the meat to cool as soon as possible...[/rquote]

X2

20. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

If it's cold enough in the garage overnight, I'll put a bag of ice between the hams and one down in the chest. Leave the hide one.
    Having moved to the suburbs, it's hard to hang deer more than 1 night because of the temps in the closed garage (no windows) unless it's VERY cold.

If the thing is gut shot, then I would take the hose to it before it hanging. Otherwise, I will take the hose to the quartered pieces and again wash all the cuts before freezing. I pretty much defrost the meat and put it right in the pan with no attention needed.

They say water causes bacteria...I'm not sold on it...besides, I cook everything very well done!