Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very interested in the question found in the MDC regulations forum

"I have a question regarding Artificial Lights and hunting in Missouri. I have been advised both ways and wanted to get it straight from the state. I saw a thread that addressed lights but not landowners. I read at http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2116.pdf on page 15 “Artificial Lights may be used only to hunt bullfrogs and green frogs, or to hunt raccoons and other furbearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs. Using lights or any other night vision or thermal imagery equipment to search for, spot, illuminate, harass or disturb other wildlife is a violation of the Wildlife Code. This rule does not apply to landowners on their property.â€

I too read the final line in their official 2010 book but it never gets answered in that post. It says it was moved my MDC Deer. Can i find it somewhere else?

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
No answer as of yet from our MDC contacts. They have to make sure their answers are correct prior to posting here. The MDC guys come to our site to read the questions on their own time and then have to do their research for the correct answers if they don't know it right off. It will be answered within time.

BTW...that one is a hard one to answer and would require some checking the small print in the rule books.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be patient, no problem....i just saw "moved by MDC Deer" and did not know what that meant...not that i even have land to shine, just curious. thanks guys

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1565639&tid=108887&author=letemgrow]I believe the landowner refers to someone needing to fix fence, check cows etc after dark....maybe that includes wildife too, but I highly doubt it. [/rquote]

The way it was explained to my neighbor by the an agent, "there better be cattle in that pasture"

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The quote from the MDC reg book is talking about hunting when it says:

“Artificial Lights may be used only to hunt bullfrogs and green frogs, or to hunt raccoons and other furbearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs. Using lights or any other night vision or thermal imagery equipment to search for, spot, illuminate, harass or disturb other wildlife is a violation of the Wildlife Code. This rule does not apply to landowners on their property.â€

Its not talking about looking for cattle or fixing fences. The same question was aksed about hog hunting. I would like to hear an answer also. Problem is I dont think were are gonna get one. Same thing as with my dead fish under the slot limit question. You're gonna be breaking a law either way. I dont think an agent is gonna tell someone to do it, just in case another agent comes along and tickets them. Or maybe i'm over thinking it. Who knows.:cheers:

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
[rquote=1565754&tid=108887&author=pinwheel][rquote=1565639&tid=108887&author=letemgrow]I believe the landowner refers to someone needing to fix fence, check cows etc after dark....maybe that includes wildife too, but I highly doubt it. [/rquote]

The way it was explained to my neighbor by the an agent, "there better be cattle in that pasture"[/rquote]

That is why I have cattle...it's a cover up. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
I moved it from the general information section to the hunting regulations section that way our agents were sure to see it and hopefully respond. I'm working on getting you a clear and correct answer. I'll get an answer as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I know everyone says it's illegal but the wording in the provisions sure doesn't make it sound like it as long as you dont have anything to kill with. I'm sure it could be taken either way but i bet there would be a ticket wrote out if caught. Personally i wouldn't mind being able to shine the fields along my driveway while driving thru occasionally.

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
[rquote=1565789&tid=108887&author=Ozarks-Bowhunter]I know everyone says it's illegal but the wording in the provisions sure doesn't make it sound like it as long as you dont have anything to kill with. I'm sure it could be taken either way but i bet there would be a ticket wrote out if caught. Personally i wouldn't mind being able to shine the fields along my driveway while driving thru occasionally.[/rquote]

make a curvy driveway like ours:D headlights have no choice but to shne in those fields.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
[rquote=1565995&tid=108887&author=rmr]here is a question I ask and the answer below,
Im still a little confused by how it can be illegal but oh well.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=108095[/rquote]

Ya, I seen that posting and that's what got me to looking for some wording that say's it is illegal and i have not seen any that makes me think it is.

I can see why the CO's wouldn't want it to be legal as they would get many calls of spotlighting when there wouldn't be any violations on many.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1566050&tid=108887&author=showmethejewels]true but how many "farmers" dont carry at least a .22 [/rquote]

I would bet it is in close proximity to the number of farmers who have been issued a ticket for shining their ground with a gun in the truck:D

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
what I was talking about was from my porch, with no gun
in my jeans tee shirt and house slippers, just looking to see if there is anything in the yard, or crp,
I still will have a hard time believeing that you cant shine a light from your home into your yard, and its called illegal.
I would like to think common sense would be the rule in most cases, having said that I have no desire to shoot a deer with the aid of a light, but Im sure there are those that would, so wheree do you draw the line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.