Warshin yer huntin clothes

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by rat, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    How do ya'll do it?
    My wife uses scented detergent and fabric softener.
    I have to admit, I use that scent free detergent and I usually run a load of jeans with that scent free stuff to get rid of that scented detergent in there, THEN put my hunting stuff in there for the next load.
    Think thats enough? I've always done it this way but wondered what everyone else does.

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I don't mess with the unscented detergent. I used to use baking soda but now I just run em through twice with nuttin but warm water. While they are washing I run the dryer empty for a few minutes.

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I do it just like you Rat. I think it works so why change it:wave:

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Don't forget about the dryer rat. I normally put it on high for 60 minutes before I put my hunting clothes in there.

Sometimes I'll run a cycle of just water before the hunting clothes go in the washer.

5. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    i do the same rat but i run through 2 loads of reg. clothes in unscented detergent and also spray down the dryer with scent killer and run it for a few min before chuckin in the huntin clothes......for wahing i use atsko sport wash and baking soda.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880653&tid=130973&author=HabitatMD]Don't forget about the dryer rat. I normally put it on high for 60 minutes before I put my hunting clothes in there.

Sometimes I'll run a cycle of just water before the hunting clothes go in the washer.[/rquote]
    Well... when its warm enough, I dont use the dryer at all... just hangem out to dry.
    However, weather like this means use the dryer. I usually clean the lint trap and run my jeans that I warshed in the scent free stuff and hope thats enough.
    I think playing the wind is the best bet in any case but I try my best to make sure I aint introducing any foreign odors.
    Never can be 100% sure I spose.

7. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Ditto on the dryer! If its decent enough outside I'll put them on the line overnight to dry off. :cheers:

Yes, Im still the redneck with a clothesline.:D

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880662&tid=130973&author=1FastCam]Ditto on the dryer! If its decent enough outside I'll put them on the line overnight to dry off. :cheers:

Yes, Im still the redneck with a clothesline.:D[/rquote]
    Not redneck at all... I do the same!

9. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I just make shure we not use soap with bleach in it. I not worry about the cents and the dryer sheet we us is mild cented. I not had any problems whiel deer hunting washing the clothes like for 17 years now.

10. woodshed

woodshed New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I think you guys give deer WAAYY too much credit. Yes their noses are awesome, but you are throwing money out the window running your dryer for 60 minutes empty and washing machine empty!!

I use unscented detergent also,,, that's a must. But I guarantee my clothes are unscented just putting them in the washer and dryer with no scented stuff in there. Just throw them in and let'er rip. It'll be the same as you are doing now,,,, only cheaper!

By the way,,,, you can go to the store and buy name brand "unscented soap, and shampoo" without payin gthe extra money for the hunting soaps.

11. DDT HUNTER

DDT HUNTER New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Raymore
    I take those same precautions but not sure those are scents that deer associate with danger. Hunted many years ago with a guy who would go bar hoppin' every evening and would put on more than enough cologne. Wouldn't shower before going out to hunt and he killed some dandy bucks over the years. He always said the deer were attreacted to his foo foo !

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1880638&tid=130973&author=rat]How do ya'll do it?
    My wife uses scented detergent and fabric softener.
    I have to admit, I use that scent free detergent and I usually run a load of jeans with that scent free stuff to get rid of that scented detergent in there, THEN put my hunting stuff in there for the next load.
    Think thats enough? I've always done it this way but wondered what everyone else does.[/rquote]

That's the way I do it. Not because of the scent free, but because I don't want the UV brightners from the regular soap.:cheers:

13. Whitmore44

Whitmore44 Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    O'fallon, mo
    Tide or All free and clear.......smells exact same as all the expensive hunting clothes wash.

I only let the girl friend use scented detergent feb-august. :cheers:

14. sbbow

sbbow Active Member

Scent free soap and hang and dry

15. icbigiowabucks

icbigiowabucks New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Knoxville Iowa
    washing them inside out will keep the colors from fading

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880695&tid=130973&author=Whitmore44]

I only let the girl friend use scented detergent feb-august. :cheers:[/rquote]
    You are my hero. :wave:

Wait til that girlfriend turns into a wife. You will have less control over some of that stuff. :whistle:

17. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

you are suppose to wash your hunting cloths??heck i wash them before season starts and there good till next year:claphands:

18. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

[rquote=1880746&tid=130973&author=BILLYGOAT]you are suppose to wash your hunting cloths??heck i wash them before season starts and there good till next year:claphands:[/rquote]

He ain't called Billygoat fer nuthin!:hysterical::hysterical:

J/K You beat me to the line.:cheers:

19. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    [rquote=1880722&tid=130973&author=rat][rquote=1880695&tid=130973&author=Whitmore44]

I only let the girl friend use scented detergent feb-august. :cheers:[/rquote]
    You are my hero. :wave:

Wait til that girlfriend turns into a wife. You will have less control over some of that stuff. :whistle:[/rquote]

Rat speaks with much truth here!!!

20. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Oh yeah, I wear the pants at my house, when my wife lets me!!!