Warm glove suggestions

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by MOFish20, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MOFish20

MOFish20 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Deep State
    What do you guys take to the stand when it's miserably cold? Like most of you I prefer to have my hands at the ready when I've got my bow; picked up a great hand muff a couple years ago and loading that with hand warmers is great...however I like having my bow in my lap so I dont have to reach up to grab my bow off the hanger when a deer appears out of nowhere, which seems like almost every time. When it's single digits I'll throw a glove on my bow hand to keep it from slipping out of my lap.
    I requested a pair of sitka gloves for Xmas from my old man when he asked what I needed. They had good ratings and I just blindly followed that, unfortunately they're quite light and maybe would be good for a cool fall morning but no way would i ever expect them to keep my hands warm in COLD weather. I'll be returning them next time I dare stopping by cabelas and would like to pick up something that I can use next time I'm out hunting in 4 degrees. Open to any suggestions of what you like to carry into the field:cheers:

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I always wear very light thin gloves when archery hunting, then keep one of those hand warmer muffs with hand warmers in it at my waist. Hang bow from bow hanger, put hands in handwarmer. :wave1:

Bulky gloves have never kept my hands warm, and I don't want them getting in the way of my accuracy, etc.

3. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    If you are gonna hold the bow in your hands in 4 degree weather, your hands are gonna get cold..... I am not sure there is anyway around that. In the winter, with fewer leaves, etc.. I've never had much problem seeing deer coming to where I can't get bow from bow hanger.

4. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    thin gloves and hot hands packs.

callaojoe likes this.
  5. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Tried a pair of my buddies military style wool gloves last time we were out on Jan 6th.

I usually just use jersey gloves, but wanted something a little better this hunt since it was chilly willy. They surprised the heck out of me. Only time my hands got cold were on the walk back when the bow was in my hand. Not sure they are the best, but he said they were only 8 bucks and my hands stayed darn warm for the temperature.

Edit: The ones I used are not going to be water friendly.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    MOFish20 likes this.
  6. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I think you will find after awhile your switching Hands into your Coat Pocket with Hand Warmer no matter what you have.

oneshot

:D Hey the Big Grin goes out in this cold and squats.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

When it's real cold I wear these. Your skin on skin contact keeps your fingers from getting cold and it helps to use hot hands inside. gloves.gif

tcwild, STTH and 421sd like this.
  8. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    If you plan on holding onto your bow I don't think you will find a glove that's not too bulky and will keep you warm.

Bootheel Boy and callaojoe like this.
  9. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I have a pair of cabelas MTO50 glomitts . I can shoot my bow with them . I had to extend my release a little though. Warmest glove I have worn .

10. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Like Jager, I have some mittens that open up, only mine have very light full-finger gloves built in. I keep some hot hands in there and I can withstand some pretty severe cold. I have a muff I'll use sometimes but the mittens are really the best. The muff is good sometimes for cold-weather fishing — I'll wear open-finger wool gloves and stick my hands in the muff when my finger tips get cold.

11. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I have the under armour liner gloves. They are the only under armour I still own and when someone else makes the same thing Ill get rid of these. Most of the time I just use these and the pockets in my jacket. If it gets real cold the sitka incinerator muff is awesome. I just got it for christmas and used it twice and its awesome. The only one Ive had that as warm is a final approach, but its to loud for deer hunting.

BustinBucks likes this.
  12. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    the answer to warm hands and toes is keeping your core temperature high, not sweaty, but high..when your core temp drops it steals blood flow from hands and toes to keep a stable core temp . I use a thin pair of gloves with a larger thick pair in extreme temps, but as a ducker I can walk the decoys to get the blood flowing... eat a good meal before hitting the stand and avoid blood flow restrictors like tobacco and alcohol...

Dalton likes this.
  13. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    I bought a bunch of these when they were on clearance last month for $7 a pair, normally $45-50. They are nice! And out of stock..

MOFish20, BustinBucks and Skduckhunt like this.
  14. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Dang this missed out. I got mine for $19 I bet they are going to quit making them.

15. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Used to spend quite a bit of $$ trying to find gloves that worked. Now I just use jerseys and keep my hands in my pockets when it’s cold.

16. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have some Arctic Shield gloves that are similar to these only they don't have the individual fingers. Allows you to wear a slimmer pair of gloves under them. Also, the thumb can fold back like the fingers.

17. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I only wear the sleek tight fitting under armour gloves that at fairly warm until late December then I bring the hand muff warmer and hang my bow I front of me or just stay seated with bow on my lap. Now I have also have been thinking about getting a carbon bow since they don't conduct the cold and keep your hand from freezing haha

wingman and callaojoe like this.
  18. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Hang you bow, I would think in cold temps you would ultimately have less overall movement. As mentioned thin pair with muff

19. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Pair of thin Fanatic gloves and the pouch on the jacket works for me. Toss in a hand warmer in weather like last weekend and that's that.
    I hate hunting with gloves on.

90acres, CRE10 and EZRA like this.