Wanting to Learn - Squirrel and Rabbit hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by 00dlez, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Eat better also
  2. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

Buy Your Small Game Tag (unless You already have) and find a local Conservation Area or Mark Twain Forest near You and go Squirrel Hunting.I like early mornings or late evenings the best....or after a nice rain.You go out in the Woods and sit under a tree and when the Squirrels start moving they knock the rain off the leaves giving away where they are.A shotgun is Your best bet getting them thru the thick leaves is better with a scatter gun. :thinking:

Sitting out in my front yard with a CZ .22LR and a glass of Wine......errr Grape Juice keeping the Squirrels out of the Walnut Tree. :whistle:

Attached Files:

3. Barnold1

Barnold1 Senior Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I prefer to eat squirrel (properly prepared so it ain't like gnawing on boot leather) but no longer want to skin em and love living the beagle life and running rabbits year round.
    metalShrek likes this.
  4. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    I think squirrels are better eating than rabbit. Less meat, but I think it's better.
    That and there aren't any rabbits around here.
  5. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
  6. GTOHunter

....if I'd ever get a weekend off I would take You out Squirrel Huntin'! :thinking: :wave:
  7. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Very nice - Is it just that easy? get registered and go at it? how hard is it to skin a squirrel the first time having noting but youtube and maybe a field manual to look at?
  8. tinker

tinker Member

Dec 21, 2011
    MO Pike county - troy
    Yes. It's that easy. Gets easier the more u do it. Crock pot is your friend. Try soaking squirrels in water before you skin them to keep hair off the meat. Enjoy and have fun.
  9. GTOHunter

Like Tinker said....its that easy and half the battle is just getting out and sitting still watching for the Squirrels.They can be a bugger to clean but it's much easier with 2 Guys working on Cleaning them. :thinking:

Attached Files:

10. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    A sure fire way to shoot lots of squirrels is to hang a deer stand and sit in it starting around NOV 11th or so. They will be all over the place. If you hear what sounds like a huge buck coming though the woods, that is a dead give away that you are in prime squirrel country.

glennasher1 and sharps4590 like this.
  11. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I live outside of Springfield. We hunt rabbits with beagle dogs. If you want to drive this far you have an open invitation. I hunt with my 15 year old son. Usually just the two of us on conservation land.
  12. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    This is how we clean our rabbits. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's fast and easy.

13. battman1

battman1 Active Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Ray Co. Mo.
    If you come to this side to hunt rabbits with Rojo might as well head a few hours North and hunt squirrels with doge up here
  14. fstchkn

fstchkn Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Look pretty green out for the snow camo.
    GTOHunter likes this.
  15. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks again for all the responses - very encouraging.

Being from St. Louis, I imagine the closer the CA is to me the more picked over it will be - and populated.

Amidon Memorial CA looks like it might be a decent spot... Any one been there or hunted it before? Just to the SW of Perryville
  16. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    I would definitely be going west or north toward Mark Twain Lake.
  17. 170BC

170BC Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Are you ever off during the week?
  18. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Unfortunately not, at least not for non-holidays
  19. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Hmmmm - the Reform CA (surrounds the Callaway Plant) might be a good spot too... Give me a reason to swing through Swiss Meat Locker too!
  20. 170BC

170BC Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Reform is shot gun only . No single projectiles. If you take the badger I wouldn't even have . 22 ammo in the car . Shot & archery only.