Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my mosin stock refinished. The cheap shellac finish isnt that good and i want something that makes it look like good as new.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Doemaster, I like to use low-luster Min-Wax Tung Oil or Formby's low gloss Tung Oil. It is a hand rubbed finish that looks real good and is easy to do. Forget using polyurethane finishes. Tung Oil can also be retouched very easily.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Doemaster, I would listen to Jack. If you try to sand out that old oil, you may be in for one heck of a workout. Depending on the age/use, the oil finish may have penetrated pretty far into the wood, making it almost impossible to get completely out.

Go with the minwax or tung oil finish. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Save the money and do it yourself.
Get some naptha and a green weenie (green scotch brite pad). The next part is important - GO OUTSIDE.
Scrub it down - with the grain - about three times, wiping all the grunge off that the naptha doesn't get. Again - DO IT OUTSIDE
Once it is completely clean and the decades worth of gunk finally quits bleeding our it, get some Tru Oil and rub it in with a very soft, smooth cloth while you are watching TV.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Doemaster the Tru-Oil htredneck mentioned works very well also. Very similar to Tung Oil finish and easy to use.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
DM- It that is a shellac finish the oil finish may not want to penetrate(that is necessary for a good job). Try a very small area first Shallac is a sealer. I doubt vey much that is a shellac finish but most likely whatever it is it will most likely have to be removed and the wood sanded to get a good finish.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard you could use steel wool.

UPDATE: my mom knows that shellacs a sealant and we need to sand the stock and such so yeah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.