Want better east side waterfowling conditions?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by Skduckhunt, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Write this guy, its his baby...
    Wildlife Management Biologist. 573-898-5905 . Gary.Calvert@mdc.mo.gov · Upper Mississippi River Conservation Area. 3333 North Highway 79 P.O. Box 201. Elsberry , MO 63343- .

2. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Whats he gonna do ?

3. Not a thing just like he has for years.Nothing,I guess its woth a try.

wingman and 20' like this.
  4. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Better than complaining here
    Squeaky wheel might get some grease

Clucker likes this.
  5. Need to find out who his boss is.I think I know a guy that can tell me that.

6. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    I was talking to a guy at the gym this last week, he said their grp got 17 ducks a week or so ago on the east side.... he did not say where and I did not ask...

7. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    They gonna plant corn on the sandbars ? Hold a meeting with the ducks ?

CRE10, rat and Skduckhunt like this.
  8. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Why shouldn't duck hunting be as average as deer! Write the MDC turkey guy and tell him not to mess up the line bright spot!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. Dalton

Dalton Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Warren County
    I've worked with Gary years ago. He's forgotten more than you'll probably ever know. One of the smartest dudes out there. Give him a call, you'll figure that out.

10. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Dalton, Gary and I have talked many times. He is the person that implemented this awful mess we have on the river now. Either he was handcuffed from above or he could not see its shortcomings. Either way its a mess on the river now

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    wingman likes this.
  11. cash50

cash50 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    St. Chuck
    That's why people are crushing ducks on public land in the STL area.

Skduckhunt likes this.
  12. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    What could be done to the river to improve hunting ? ,,Mdc has nothing to do with corp and river levels ,

Rebel2 likes this.
  13. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    How about pumping pools with water for teal season. I hear every year that the crops belong to the contract farmers. Heck, some years the number of hunting spots are reduced because there is no water in hunting pools. Some times you have to make the decision, are we gonna hunt here or not? If NOT is the answer, tell the hunting public..

14. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Amazingly, we used to lose 3-5 hunting days to frozen water per season, occasionally to no water, but that's was very seldom. Now its a common occurance...

15. Brush Bux

Brush Bux Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    SK, I'm an owner of property outside of Elsberry and right now and the last 10 years it sucks with a capital HORRIBLE. We aren't a 4 million dollar club but I will tell you that the problem right now is POLITICAL. Lets just leave it at that. BK LEACH is WRP, that's why ducks that leave Annada Refuge(3500 acres of moist soil)go to the next area with corn, St. Charles clubs like Busch, Dillards, and all of the other high dollar clubs with 600 acre rest lakes when the weather turns. .2 bird average in a duck park should tell you they should just shut that conservation area down. It's worthless and the birds are imprinted on Annada Refuge and Ted Shanks refuge until January. That's why the season got pushed back 1 week, everyone complained about 350K birds staying in Pike County until duck season closed. It's again going to be no different this year. DU is part of the problem too, only supplementing the high dollar, low lying, untillable prime areas to flood. You want to change the IMPRINTING that ducks have on a particular area? Easy solution, let people hunt refuges on a draw the last 10 days of the season, then ducks remember where they got their arses shot off. If they can remember how to get to their nesting areas year after year, they can remember where a bunch of guys were shooting at em in an area where they thought was safe.

jsr, tcwild, Rebel2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Brush Bux, Since you have your own spot, I am guessing you never hit the river to see what condition the local MDC lottery-controlled blinds look like. are you hearing any scuttlebutt.

17. cash50

cash50 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    St. Chuck
    I don't think anyone cares about the state of some raggedy blinds along the Mississippi. The river will not be a great spot. Ducks have better places to be, and so do I.

18. Wrong

wingman likes this.
  19. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    2 or 3 years ago, with a good weather and a well built blind the numbers of ducks killed would amaze you.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    wingman likes this.
  20. Brush Bux

Brush Bux Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I know several guys that hunt the river. Anyone and their friends can hunt a river blind if the leasee isn't in it before shooting time, even if a lottery party says their watch says 2 minutes before shooting time. I've personally had 2 different parties call me everything but a nice guy and want to fight when hunting these blinds, never gonna try it again. You have to brush your blinds in by September, when temps are in the upper 90's still and they have to be approved by MDC. Pain in the arse and not worth the headache. The only time I have found the river to be good is when clubs are running ice eaters when temps overnight are in the teens and the ducks need sand from the river and when the flowing river is below normal pool and sand bars are numerous. Annada refuge ducks roost there, feed at Shanks after 1:00 PM and fly back at dark because they know they get shot at before that. The next closest place is St. Charles with rest lakes and high dollar duck clubs where deeper water stays open and food is abundant. Meaning of all of this: If you have property right next to a major refuge(less than 500 yards away) funded by Federal dollars, you will kill ducks on a regular basis. The average Joe that can't afford a 1 million dollar club or spend $8000 a year to lease a good spot is not going to kill a lot of ducks, period.

Skduckhunt likes this.