Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
just a no body
Joined
·
15,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was getting to order a Walkie Talkie set from Cabelas for my elk hunt & was informed that I need to apply for an FCC liscense to operate the things

Called the FCC and was told that if i was just useing this for personal use I could use channells 8-14 but they were good for only up to 2 miles otherwise to beable to use the other Channells & the up to 18 mile range I'd have fork over $80 for a 5 yrs liscense.:eek:

I may never need to talk over 2 miles but it sure would come in handy if some sort of emergency came about out in them Mtns. I wonder if I would get into trouble if I used a long distance channel in a emergency?
this is just stupid IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
You could get into trouble but I have never heard of anyone being violated by the FCC for violating the citizens band.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
I read about this when I worked at a sporting goods store. A customer bought a set and mentioned it to me. Let's see if I can remember here. There are two ranges of frequencies used for these "walkie talkies". One is the FRS which are the little two mile radios. The other, if I remember correctly, are GMRS, or the longer range walkies. I know that with the FRS systems, no license is required. For the GMRS, a license is "required". Technically, yes, a license is required, but from what I remember reading, it's not even something that's enforced.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong on this.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
9,536 Posts
A lot of any action that the FCC would take will depend on whom is monitoring the frequencies that you are using without a license.

In the area that I live I monitor the 2 meter band which is a much higher frequency then the HD's will transmitt on.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by beanpile
Just was getting to order a Walkie Talkie set from Cabelas for my elk hunt & was informed that I need to apply for an FCC liscense to operate the things

Called the FCC and was told that if i was just useing this for personal use I could use channells 8-14 but they were good for only up to 2 miles otherwise to beable to use the other Channells & the up to 18 mile range I'd have fork over $80 for a 5 yrs liscense.:eek:
Yep, you would need to get a liscence... Its similar to having a standard drivers liscence and then driving a company vehicle.. did you get your chauffers (sp?) credentials to drive that? Chances are, probably not unless you intend to do it daily.. And chances are you wont get caught, however, all it will take is once...

Originally posted by beanpile
I may never need to talk over 2 miles but it sure would come in handy if some sort of emergency came about out in them Mtns. I wonder if I would get into trouble if I used a long distance channel in a emergency?
Those that are "2 mile range" are in all reality worthless.. unless you plan on talking to someone who you can see, or is not being obstructed by anything.. mountains would tend to obstruct it....

The longer mileage radios just have more juice (amp) wise soze they can reach out and touch more radios / repeaters...

Originally posted by droptine
There are two ranges of frequencies used for these "walkie talkies". One is the FRS which are the little two mile radios. The other, if I remember correctly, are GMRS, or the longer range walkies. I know that with the FRS systems, no license is required. For the GMRS, a license is "required". Technically, yes, a license is required, but from what I remember reading, it's not even something that's enforced.
Yes thats the 2 basic systems, and not all GMRS radios must you get a liscence for, it all depends upon the number of amps / channels / frequencies / crystals that you can / will be using it on..

Look at it this way, a concealed carry liscence is steep eh? Can you get away with it once in a while and not have a liscence, probably.. But whats gonna happen when you get caught with out it.... I sure dont wanna know.. And neither do you..

If you are gonna use the stronger radios.. get the liscence..

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70,604 Posts
Just my 2 cents on the two mile radios.......Two miles is stretching it a bit unless you are on one hilltop and the other radio is on another one two miles away. The pair that I have will reach about a mile but most cases we use them for deer hunting on my place which if you yell real loud you can hear each other on a calm day without the radios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Well, i'm really disapointed in the hand held radios. We just got my dad a pair of them for an early father's day and we went on a trail ride to day and brought them along to try them out. As the crow flies, we were about a mile from the house and there was no reception at all and we were not in a valley either. These things are suppose to have an 8 mile range. Heck, if you have to be in line of sight for them to work, you can just use smoke signals. Anyone know if the handheld CB radios work any better or would they perform about the same?
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
Well, i'm really disapointed in the hand held radios. We just got my dad a pair of them for an early father's day and we went on a trail ride to day and brought them along to try them out. As the crow flies, we were about a mile from the house and there was no reception at all and we were not in a valley either. These things are suppose to have an 8 mile range. Heck, if you have to be in line of sight for them to work, you can just use smoke signals. Anyone know if the handheld CB radios work any better or would they perform about the same?
Summer foilage in the woods will kick your butt trying to get out, no matter what kinda radio you're trying to run.

CB's may be better though. I have no experience with them in the woods.

Parker
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,631 Posts
Me and my bro have Midland GXT500's and they are awfully handy while trying to communicate from the stand. Easier than text messaging with cell phones! They don't have a great range in the woods but they're fine for the places that we hunt.

NOTE: Be sure not to use them to pursue game or tip anyone off that there are deer coming their way. That's illegal. As for the license, we didn't get it. But we try to stay off of the GMRS channels as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by Plasticman
Originally posted by jmmcguire

NOTE: Be sure not to use them to persue game or tip anyone off that there are deer coming their way. That's illegal.
Not any longer Jmmcguire---law change about 4 years ago.:cheers:
pman didn't know that. i thought it still fell into the fair chase thingy.
 

·
PURE KILLER
Joined
·
38,011 Posts
i use unidens sph 21,they flat kick butt but i havn't seen anything that will touch them.crisp clear long range.a buddy keeps buying these new ones every year to see if they can compare and they flat don't.these babies say five mile and they will do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Babe Winkleman get in trouble a couple years ago using radios to help his wife get a Deer?
Chances are that you may not get into any trouble using an unlicensed radio (GMRS) but you'll never know if an Official Observer is listening. It does happen!

BTW, me and P-man are both Amatuer Radio operators, one of us could be an OO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,776 Posts
I've really enjoyed bowhunting with my boys the past few years as we have used Motorola FRS radios with earbuds and PTT mikes to communicate with each other. "Dad! I got 13 does in the wheat field" "Dad, you should smell this fart!"....OK! SHUT UP! " Dad, go cook me some breakfast!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch
I called the Conservation Agent's in the area, and they've told me you can alert another hunter that deer are headed their way.

I thought the same as some of you all in thinking that kind of 'Coyote Drive hunting' tactic was illegal with deer. But it isn't.

If someone cares to search this forum for my posts on when I looked into it, it's out there. I called them sometime last Fall.
I'll take yer word for it mike.
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by Sprint#24
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Babe Winkleman get in trouble a couple years ago using radios to help his wife get a Deer?
Chances are that you may not get into any trouble using an unlicensed radio (GMRS) but you'll never know if an Official Observer is listening. It does happen!

BTW, me and P-man are both Amatuer Radio operators, one of us could be an OO.
Babe got in trouble in Wyoming if I remember right. Different state....different laws. Kinda like pheasant hunting the ditches in Iowa.

Parker
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
9,536 Posts
Originally posted by JimH
Originally posted by Plasticman
Originally posted by jmmcguire

NOTE: Be sure not to use them to persue game or tip anyone off that there are deer coming their way. That's illegal.
Not any longer Jmmcguire---law change about 4 years ago.:cheers:
pman didn't know that. i thought it still fell into the fair chase thingy.
I received an E-Mail from the head of enforcement for the MDC back a few yearts ago when this became a heated topic on another board-----At that time about half of the officers were enforcing under the "Use of an Electronci Device" law and about half were not. He advised me at that time that at their next state wide meeting that he would advise all enforcement officer that it wasd legal to use radios---as long as you were licensed or iusing a low power unit that would not cause any problems on the designated band for use.

CP has it correct--it IS Legal to use them while deer hunting in Missouri------:cheers:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top