Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hang a weighted string from a nail on a target.

Stick a round sticker on the target face so that the string splits the sticker. Use your existing 20-yd pin, step back 20-yards from the target and fire at the sticker.

Don't worry about where the arrow hits.

Walk straight back to 30 yds, and using the same 20-yd pin setting,
fire an arrow at the sticker.

Repeat at 35 yds and at 40 yds, using the 20-yd pin and firing at the sticker.

If your arrows look like this pattern " / " or “\â€,
then pick a direction and move your arrow rest 1/16th inch.

If the pattern gets straighter (more vertical), then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction.

If the pattern gets more crooked, then adjust in the other direction.

Keep firing arrows and keep adjusting the arrow rest position until you get a vertical pattern of arrows.

Eventually, your arrows will hit in the target is a straight up and down line like this " | ".

LOCK down the arrow rest setting. Your centershot is perfect.

But, your vertical pattern of arrows may not be hitting the string.

The vertical pattern of arrows may be on one side of the string.
Let’s say the arrows are say 6-inches to the left of the weighted string.

Pick a direction to adjust your sight ring windage. Adjust the sight ring windage 1/16th of an inch. Repeat the test. Fire arrows at least 3 distances, and see if the vertical pattern of arrows gets closer to the string.

If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting closer to the string, then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction. If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting farther away, then adjust in the other direction.

Eventually, you will have a vertical pattern of arrows right on top of the string.

Lock down the windage and lock down the arrow rest. Windage and center shot are now perfect.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
HUH?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
you lost me at hang a weight hahah

no i get it after reading it a couple times i don't know if i used a harder way or an easier one but luckly for me my bow is set as long as i don't play with it

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is really a good way to solve that "mysterious" arrow flight. You'd be surprised at how many "pro" shops don't know about this.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I been around a little bit and never heard if it. What is the advantage instead of paper tuning or other more popular methods ?

Sounds kinda lengthy.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's really not difficult at all. You may be shooting straight but your center shot can still be off. This will solve that problem. I was dead on at 20 yards but consistently shooting to the right at 30. This solved the problem.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Here......I'm going to be a pain in the butt.

Why don't you just sight the main settings (left and right, and up and down) of your bow off of your longest yardage (mine is 60) (FOR TARGET PRACTICING). Then the closer yardages will follow.

20 appears to be on, but it is not, there's not enough distance for the arrow to mess up, like it does at 30.

Am I missing something?

Parker

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have that problem now. I am on at 25 but each pin needs to be moved to the right as I go out. Hopefully (when I get my bow back wiff da new cable and string) I will try dis and it will be bedder! EH

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
cfdjay, is correct. Walk back tuning is a good way to identify and correct poor arrow flight past the 30 yard mark. Anything short of that and the vanes on the arrows pretty much correct it, and it's not real noticable until you start hitting that 30 mark and beyond. Field shooters and long shot shooters are the ones most likely to do the walk back tuning. Most shops don't use it because of space and to be honest they are more concerned with shorter shots and that perfect "hole". But like stated before, just because there is a perfect hole doesn't mean "everything" is perfect.

Good post Cfdjay:cheers:

MoBowman ```---------->

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
used it for years,it is the only way to get her tuned for long range or any range for that matter:wink4:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The string gives you true plum. (I don't know if I spelled that correctly)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.