Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard on the news today that a bill had passed and was headed to the Governers desk to be signed. It is designed to allow the mdc to rent private ground and open it to walk in public hunting. The bill releives the landowner of any liabilities they might aquire if they were leaseing it to individuals. I'd sure like to see this take off and expand the amount of land available to the general public to hunt on.

:cheers::cheers:

·
5,631 Posts
Arkansas already does something like this. At least with one particular property that I have hunted. Seems like a pretty cool deal.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this but then my local paper doesn't consider anything that happens outside a certain eastern Missouri city worth reporting. Sounds like it might be a good deal. I hope the governor signs it.

·
Registered
70,604 Posts
Kansas has had this program for a few years now. I have hunted hundreds of acres of private land in the state of Kansas for upland game. Most have been hunted fairly heavy but there is still a lot of land that still has birds clear into January. Each parcel is listed by county along with a boundry map inclosed in a free booklet. It gives you a choice of where to hunt all over the state. I think it would be a good thing for the Missouri hunter.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I think this is a great idea and hope it becomes law. I have hunted many WIHAs in Kansas and have taken turkey, pheasant and Mule Deer in those areas.

Jack

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I'm up for it here Jack if I can hunt some Mule deer.
Sounds like a good opportunity for hunters.

·
5,631 Posts
Guys, there's something we're forgetting about here. It was brought to my attention by a good friend of mine. ;)

Do we really want MORE competition for hunting leases in the state? Do YOU, Joe Blow Hunter, want to compete with MDC for a lease?

Sure, it would be great for more available public hunting ground. But what would we be giving up in return? It's already too hard to find a suitable lease.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I agree with ya jMac

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
For now, I am in total agreeance (is that even a word?) with jmac.

I need to think on this one a bit more too.

:pop::pop::pop:

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by jmmcguire
Do we really want MORE competition for hunting leases in the state? Do YOU, Joe Blow Hunter, want to compete with MDC for a lease?
If the competition is going to let you hunt it after they lease it,,,,,,,,,thats better than the trend of big $$$'s being the only way to lease. This may also open up property whos owners would lease to the Mdc but not to an individual because of the liability factor in the private sector. If it goes over well among landowners it could very well spread public land pressure out more and make the quality of hunting on Mdc areas better,,,not to mention the increased safety factor, when you spread the hunters out more. It could also reduce competition for hunting leases, by reducing the number of people who feel they need a lease just to have a place to hunt,,,,,the state will probably have a fixed rate per acre, so there should be plenty of folks who will still want alittle more for there property. If it goes over like the Kansas program,,it could provide some real good hunting opperunities for those who want to do their home work and find those out of the way honey holes.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
DSG has thought about this over nite and some of his thoughts have already been aluded to. He will just add though.

This will be a great thing for those who rely on public lands. It will not be a great thing for those that bust a hump to build a relationship and find a place to hunt, or to those who routinely lease properties. Neither will it improve the overall quality of hunting. Why? Because the MDC (Mostly Deer Control) will manage them for the "experience," not for the quality of the hunt. In other words, just as long as you got the CHANCE to hunt, that's all that's important.

The State has already proven over and over that their strong suit is NOT the managment of property. I sure don't see that this is gonna help that either!

Last, more state control of private lands? I say NO. It's just part of a dangerous trend.............what the h3ll, just let 'em have control of it all then we can all be told where we are gonna hunt and when. IF we are allowed to hunt at all that is.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
As far as the liability issue goes. On the surface that might be a valid point. BUT, lets see this through.

Hypothetical situation; A landowner is gonna give up his right to say which two or three hunters (of his choice) hunt his property so that the state can say ANYONE can hunt the property? OK, the next thing you are gonna say is "Well, the MDC will CONTROL that!" and I will say EXACTLY!

Another thing with regard to the liability. The lease will NOT release a landowner of something that they are truely liable for. For example, Landowner has a mean dog and it bites you while you are hunting MDC leased property. The lease does not release the landowner from the liability of his dog biting you.

Nope......all the way around. It's a BAD idea. Period.

Flame away! :D

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I'll stick with DSG on this one! :pop:

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
There's some Indiana groups wanbting this. I didn't know a whole lot about it.
A piece of private ground some 33,000 acres just put up for lease and these groups are trying to get the state to lease it. Once some one like basecamp leasing gets a hold on it the state will never be able to afford it.
So these walkins are not public land in that the state gets a fee to hunting it? I assumed they leased it instead of buying and it would be available just as state owned land is?

·
Registered
21,182 Posts
My concerns are with the number of people that will be hunting on these leased areas. In this area I know that there are several people that would do just about anythnig to hunt certain areas. If those areas happen to get leases by the MDC, it would not be safe to be within 5 miles of that place!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
i tend to like the idea my self
its working well in kansas.
who knows how it will be layed out here but over there the typically make land that would qualify for crp type payments in to WIHA's
i don't know if farmers can collect both payments or not. but it sure hasn't hurt the deer quality there. and i am all for anything that gives people more land to hunt on and it helps the farmer by putting some spare coin in his pocket too.

i sure don't see any thing wrong with it my self.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am divided on this one we have a lot of walk in areas in semo, so this is not new to me. these areas are used only during the turkey season. so it this all that the lease land for the mdc will be used for. Or will try to use this during the deer season to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.