Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five trips to the Reservation, and I hadn't seen any snakes until this trip, and we killed four on this go-round:eek: I claimed an "assist" on this one, although I probably did the hardest part. My buddy was cleaning his rifle when he saw this one slithering after a PD pup, he emptied his .45 at it, and winged it, somewhere. It slid into the mouth of a PD hole, and I could see it coiled up and mad, so I fed it three rounds of .17HMR, just to let some of it's steam out. We waited an hour or two, then snaked it out of the hole with some convenient trash that someone had left. It was about 3 1/2' long, and way dead by that time.
Almost exactly the same time, another of our gang shot one next to another guide (who almost stepped on him:eek:), he used a .45 with some snake loads I had given him. One shot, one kill. That night we killed two more, on the highway. I'll post PD pics tomorrow, but I'm headed into the shower now, it was a LONNNNNGGGGGG drive, and I'm worn out.

Attachments

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Welcome back!:wave:

We need explicit report and pics when time permits please!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
when i go floatin or fishin, or know im going to be in the woods, i always carry my .45
my first clip are laoded with CCI snake shot, 1 already ****ed in the chamber. my second clip is 200 grain Hornady hollow tips.
snake shot is expernsive, but it tears the snakes up. i still have yet to get a head shot on one. i want to get one straight in the head/neck area and blow its head off in 1 shot. all my shots so far have been 1 shot 1 kill.just keep an eye out for the king snakes.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To save me some effort, here's a link to a new site

www.gasher3.photosite.com

Check out Albums 2 and 3, they are gory enough to make everyone (rat and wingman, and igor) tickled pink:D It's easier to load them here, I think, than this danged site, but I can use one address for all the websites and message boards, so it might be more convenient, long term. Yeah, I'm tired and lazy. I did 2500 miles this week, and shot in temps, all day, hovering around 95* and it was blowing around 30 knots, too, tough conditions, and I'm tuckered out.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Cant wait til next yr!! Thanks for everything Glenn!!

613?? holy schnikies!! What gun/load?? particulars when you are rested please!!

Glad you got some quality time with the buzzworms! Keeps you on your toes:banana:
Congrats to all the ratwhackers on another succesful trip :cheers:

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Naw, that's not me, I'm the fat guy in the middle, of the three of us, when we stopped at Hornady's plant in Grand Island, NE. Allen is the old guy who made the longer shots. He ain't smilin' cuz he sunburned his tongue bragging about his long shots:D I DID get several shots near the 500 yard mark, but none over, and that's honest truth:frown: It wasn't from lack of trying, the wind was TOUGH this year. Allen used a .223 to kill five or six at the 500+ mark, including some 55 Ballistic Tips loaded with Ramshot TAC powder (25.0 gr.) that I'd loaded and forgotten about. He killed some with Wolf 55 JHPs, too (store-bought trash ammo) that he swiped out of Steve's ammo crate.
We had a lot of fun, but it was HOT up there, and most of the pics in the link are hits made with .17HMRs and .221 Fireballs, as it was simply too hot to do much walking around, and I made some fine, fun close shots with those two rifles. I had a lot of fun with the smaller guns, which didn't seem to be hampered too much, since I was concentrating on the closer shots (I like to watch 'em splatter:D) I didn't spend as much time with the camera as I should have, but I did spend a lot drinking water, which made sense in the heat and wind (think convection oven!)
By the way, SPF 50 sunblock worked extremely well, no sunburn this year!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I'd like to try PD's sometime, sounds like a lot of fun.
As far as the snakes, I hate em. I only leave the Praire King and black snakes alone. The rest of them are fair game in my book.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
that's what i am talking about. great pics. it's alright, you don't have to put it off on the heat, i wouldn't walk around the buzzworm fields either.:hysterical: glad everyone had a safe trip and welome back.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
awwwwww. aren't they cute with all of that pink showin.
get some sleep glennasher, we need more gore.
aim steady, we need splatter.
:sniper:

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For you, igor!

.221 Fireball, 50 V Max bullet, about 100 yards off, a chip shot! Fun little rifle!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Good stuff!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
ooooooooh, splatter, more please.
thats pretty good for a v-max, have you tried any of sierra's bullets?
just curious i've ran into some second's from thier missouri facility,
they have been accurate, just not sure about how destructive they are.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
I shot the .221 a bit but man,oh,man... that .204 is the next on
my list... factory hornadays at 4200fps.. perfect for pdogs!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.