W748

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by winger, Mar 30, 2006.

1. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    any of you guys or girls heard anything about the availability of W748 for the future? my .223 pet load uses it and it is something of a rarity to find these days around here. been looking for several months at the shops and kept getting told it was on order and that the availility was low from the factory. tried some H335 and found a good load for this p dog trip but just like my 748 load. was in the gun shop this evening and asked again and was told that they just got a shipment of powder in. told them to check and give me all the 748 powder they had. they received 2 pounds on this shipment. hope it gets easier to find or i am going to :whinging:

2. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Is P-Dog watchin as much fun as flying down the lake in the dark at 53 mph with the temp's at 21 degrees and then watching Duck Fly?:cheers:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::peepwall:

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    nah, there is enough p dogs running around we actually whack one every now and then.:hysterical: don't know about funner, but it is definately warmer. there is something to be said about a morning boat ride and when my mouth thaws out from the last one i will let you know what that is.:hysterical:

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Where are you p-doggin wingman?

5. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    we go about 20 miles east of Dodge City, KS. we have a landowner out there that has a large pasture that is just torn up with the things. even when we were out there for pheasant we managed to get some decent shooting in January, nothing like summer months but enough. hopefully if we can get everyone off at the same time this year we will get there when the pups are up. that is some non stop action there.:sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper:

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    We'll be close then.. we're going to Elkhart, extreme southwest ks.

7. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    yepper, not that far from each other at all

8. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    we were looking at going to nebraska, kansas sounds better to
    me, a lot closer, you guys have any contacts that you would share?
    please, please, please, i promise i won't tell anyone else.

9. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Olin (Winchester Powders) has sold the rights to Hodgdon, for ALL the Winchester brand powders, so availability is in question, until Hodgdon decides how they're going to handle it. H-335 and 748 are rumored to be the same powder, anyway, like HS-6 and W540, or HS-7 and 571, or HP-38 and 231 (Hodgdon bought those powders from Olin, anyway, so it's likely true). I get some awfully good accuracy with those two powders, but they are filthy, nasty things, and are a pain to clean up after. I switched to Benchmark, a short-stick powder, and it cut my cleaning WAY down, accuracy was about the same, or better. I can, and have, shot 600 rounds of Benchmark loaded ammo in the .223s, and not cleaned them, and accuracy was still good enough to kill rats.
    I hope you find your 748, but if you can't, try some Benchmark, it's awfully good. If you prefer ball powders, try some of that Ramshot TAC, too, it's cleaner burning and gives EXCELLENT accuracy. Also, Accurate Arms 2230, or the bulk stuff, 2230-C (a different powder, slower than regular 2230). 2230-C only comes in 8 pound containers, but I love the stuff, I'm on my second jug, and it's giving excellent accuracy, and it burns clean, too. It's cheap, too, 8 pounds for under $80, can't beat that with a stick.:D:D:D It works well in .223, .204 and other cases near that size.

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    thanks for the info glenn. love my 748 but if it will be hard to find might give the others a try. after your 22-250 info you passed along i would be willing to give it a try. you definately are in the know when it comes to reloading.

igor,
    i am an invitee on our p-dog trips. the landowner is a friend of my dad's friend. i can check around to see if he is willing to let others on there. when we were at dodge during pheasant season found a few towns out there as well. at the :cheers: store the clerk was telling us about several areas that they want hunters to come in and splat them. i will see if i can get further for you.

11. willowbend

willowbend New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    At Home Where Else?
    I can get Win.748 all the time here at my local gun shop,but i switched powders and use alot of Reloader #7 for .223 loads now,excellent groups and clean burning.

Favorite powders for all around .223 plinking and hunting loads.
    Reloader#7
    H335
    Win.748
    BL-C(2)
    AA2230

For .308 i use these powders
    Reloader 15
    H4895
    Varget
    H335
    AA2520