Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Vikestand how are you getting along with your contacts?

I’m getting a little better each day at putting them in. Once in, cant believe I never did this before.

What was everyone else’s learning curve with using these things? I’m wearing daily disposables.

·
Lunch break commander
8,313 Posts
Paul, I've used contacts for a long time. I never want to go back to glasses. Its a good idea to pack a spare contact in your hunting stuff or a pair if your prescription isn't the same in both eyes. 99 percent of the time they are awesome but when you do have a problem its usually harder to resolve so for me it's just easier to carry extra with me. If you need a mirror to put them in grab one of your brides old makeup thingys to take along.

I dont recommend sleeping in them even if you get the breathable kind made for it. An eye infection from contacts SUCKS. I've had that twice but not since I quite sleeping in them. Dr said I could but i won't again.

It took me a little while to get over feeling them in my eyes but now I cant feel them.

Frees you up for sunglasses, goggles, fishing glasses and my peripheral vision doesnt have the rim of my glasses in the way.

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
I wore them for a few years but really only wore them at work and hunting. Putting them in was really never an issue... I just hated them. I could always feel/tell I had something stuck to my eyeballs. Windy days are a pain.... and it there's any dust blowing around they flat suck.
If you a vision correction candidate, do it. I'm happy as hail with mine since I got'em zapped back in Feb.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue is only with putting them in and I am getting better. Once they are in, I really cant feel them unless I am thinking about it. They haven’t bothered me in the least and at this point, other than one more thing to add to the morning routine, I really dont see a downside.
I went for a long time without being able to see the way I should. I broke down about a year ago and went and got glasses. I had been using readers for up close for a long time but not daily wear. At first, glasses were great. The more I wore them, the more I got headaches. I think I still strained to see sometimes PLUS I still needed readers even though my glasses had progressive lenses.
Now, I dont need glasses except for the occasional readers. I see open sights on a rifle fine again, I see through a peep sight again, no taking them off to see through binos anymore... been a really nice thing so far.

If irritation, the feeling of having something in your eyes, etc is the chief complaint, I’m past that.

I’ll think about lasik in 5 years or so I guess but for now, this is working.

·
1,358 Posts
No way I could stick crap in my eye. I have glasses and can't stand them. Seeing a lot of floaters lately, probably my wife's ugly a$$ making me go blind...

·
6,592 Posts
Hate glasses, love contacts. I think mine are supposed to last 2 weeks and I can get 6 weeks or so out of them. Only pain is camping/hunting trips/situations where you can’t wash your hands very well before putting them in for the day. Also pretty sensitive to sunlight, not sure if that’s related to the contacts or not though.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
My issue is only with putting them in and I am getting better. Once they are in, I really cant feel them unless I am thinking about it. They haven’t bothered me in the least and at this point, other than one more thing to add to the morning routine, I really dont see a downside.
I went for a long time without being able to see the way I should. I broke down about a year ago and went and got glasses. I had been using readers for up close for a long time but not daily wear. At first, glasses were great. The more I wore them, the more I got headaches. I think I still strained to see sometimes PLUS I still needed readers even though my glasses had progressive lenses.
Now, I dont need glasses except for the occasional readers. I see open sights on a rifle fine again, I see through a peep sight again, no taking them off to see through binos anymore... been a really nice thing so far.

If irritation, the feeling of having something in your eyes, etc is the chief complaint, I’m past that.

I’ll think about lasik in 5 years or so I guess but for now, this is working.
I dont have to take mine off to use binos.

After my eye surgery. I still wear glasses but can get by without them if conditions are crappy. I'm back to 20-20 without glasses in my right eye.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,768 Posts
Been wearing contacts for many many years. I usually skip a day wearing them on the weekends, but wear them all week. A pair usually lasts me a month and u take them out every evening.

Eye doctor said I have cataracts starting, so eye surgery will be in my future, so contacts will be no more after that.

Readers are needed if I have my contacts in, but not if I don't. Weird. Guess I'll continue with readers after cataract surgery unless I want to pay a couple grand extra to avoid that.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont have to take mine off to use binos.

After my eye surgery. I still wear glasses but can get by without them if conditions are crappy. I'm back to 20-20 without glasses in my right eye.
For the life of me, I’m not sure how people look through binos wearing glasses... or a scope for that matter. I tried.

These things arent even noticeable when I have them in. Big fan

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
I'm a big fan of the surgery I had. The insurance company just won't let me get the left eye done yet. :giggle:

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a big fan of the surgery I had. The insurance company just won't let me get the left eye done yet. :giggle:
I'm wearing contacts for a while before I consider surgery. Surgery isnt going to get me around using reading glasses either so I'm not sure what I gain aside from not having to mess with the contacts. Takes a couple minutes in the morning and less than that in the evening and thats it. Insurance is buying most all of it anyway.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,768 Posts
It has to be ripe before picking.

·
1,383 Posts
I got the last done back in 2006 for my distance vision. Now I'm needing the Walmart cheaters to read , and that doesn't really bother me. But my distance vision has slipped just a tad and now I've got glasses for when I feel I need them. My eye doctor didn't really recommend doing a lasik touch up for fear of possibly making it worse and he said the recovery time would be longer because of already having it done once. I'm kinda thinking of getting a second opinion.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
It has to be ripe before picking.
They won't pre-approved until your basically blind in the afflicted eye. They hold off hoping you die before your blind.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,768 Posts
They won't pre-approved until your basically blind in the afflicted eye. They hold off hoping you die before your blind.
You could be like Rooster Cogburn, a one eyed ol' fat man.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts

·
#freetheninja
2,047 Posts
I used to wear them before my lasik. Took a little getting used to putting them in, but after a couple days it was easy peasy. The worst problem I had was with dryness, as Az typically has something like -25% humidity. I just got used to carrying eyedrops with me and If they started getting uncomfortable during the day I’d put a couple drops in and was good to go again.

·
Over There
8,736 Posts
Sorry man just saw this! It took me about three days to get the putting them in, down. After that it's been smooth sailing. Best thing I have done in awhile. I hunted a pretty good amount in the rain and man it was nice to not have to mess with glasses. Don't know what the hell I was thinking all of these years. And that isn't even including shooting my bow.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts