videotaping turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by mosheds, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mosheds

mosheds New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    northeast missouri
    What is the best way you have came up with to videotape turkeys. Any input would be appreciated. thanks!

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I have used the 2-step method before with varying results.....

Step 1 - find turkeys
    Step 2 - turn on video camera

3. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    mosheds glad to see you back on here. I am now officially retired from wally-world so I guess I won't be seeing you over there any more.
    Got to agree with what rat said. See turkey, turn camera on.
    I am going to give it a try in the morning when me & chester go scouting.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Jus jokin on the previous post... I assume you want more advice than that.. I just aint the one to ask!

But, I assume that a good tripod in a ground blind would be the best setup. Not too mobile but if you want good quality without being busted, it might be something to consider! I know that r2ahunter has video'd several deer on occasions.. maybe he'll respond with some tips.:wave:

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    might want to put a piece of tape over the red light on the front of the camera!

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Hold on! You mean I shouldnt try attracting turks with my laser pointer?? lol

Thanks man.. now I know why I didnt see anything last weekend!

7. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    When I was doing a lot of taping I always had my best luck shooting turkey from a tree stand!:smiley:

8. And remember not to leave the camera on all night or you'll end up with about 20 seconds of battery for when the big tom is strutin' and drumin' in front of you the next day, right Wingman ;) :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

9. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Camo. Camo. Camo.

Cover everything up with some sort of camo tape, and some additions of some kind of leaves would be great. Though if you have a ground blind I wouldn't worry about the 3-D aspect of the camo job.

Also try to pay attention to when you focus and zoom in/out. A turkey can and will see the internal parts of the lense move.

Hope that helps you some!!
    :cheers::cheers:

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    how did i know that was coming.:banghead:

i am upset that i was not able to get that footage on video but hey, i am always screwing something up. at least everyone had three shells in their guns this time.:D

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

If you are wanting to sell your footage....Spend your hard earned money on a GOOD camera, and fluid head Tripod...for starters...

12. mosheds

mosheds New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    northeast missouri
    Not trying to sell anything just doing it to pass time between seasons.

13. True, but Jamie's still rubbing it in on Alex that he only needed one to get his bird :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

14. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

That's just the funniest thing that I've heard all day. Thanks for the laugh rat.