Video of A10's blowing me up

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Boogan1, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Blue Springs, MO
    I thought you might enjoy this video, it is what I do with my boat in Florida with the Air Force. It is called the Swarm Fleet exercise. The purpose is for our pilots to learn to hit small fast moving targets. The countries we are fighting in the middle east don't have navies but they have these small boats. They use 20-40 boats armed with machine guns, missles, etc to "swarm" and attack targets like a ship. They succeed just by sheer numbers. We have 35 boats broken up into 7 squads, 5 boats per squad. We run in coordinated formations to give the pilots different "looks" from the air. We run at 30 kts (34-35 mph). When we are called to "jink" or "scramble" on the radio we break formation and run a different pattern. Each boat is issued a cell phone and the control center has a lock on each phones GPS signal so they know when we are being targeted by a plane and when we are "killed". During the exercise we just did a couple of weeks ago we had A10's, F15, 16, 22 and 35's and drones all targeting us. The cost of the exercise for boats, airplanes, fuel, support personnel, etc is $6000 per minute. Enjoy the video!

jakewill83 likes this.
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    A10s are badace

3. wingman

wingman Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Kinda strange that there weren’t ANY Navy planes involved in an exercise defending a Navy ship.

4. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Screw the A10’s!!!!! I like the fishing boat!

fishshooter likes this.
  5. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Blue Springs, MO
    This training is conducted by the air force. It is not strictly to defend navy ships, it could be oil tankers, container ships, oil platforms, etc. I don't know if the navy does this kind of thing or not. Where we are located there is an air force base and an army air base so that's who we work with. The navy base is an hour away at pensacola.

6. wingman

wingman Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Not knocking it Boogan and am glad these guys are getting in their training. I just remember how far off air support was for the Benghazi embassy and it’s annex. A swarm of boats could do lots of damage in that time period and just thought that carrier based planes would be able to reach them faster since they are already in the ocean and not landbased. You would be shocked how fast those planes from Pensacola could get there if they really had to.:elmer:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. aquafowler

aquafowler Active Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I'm an A-10 Weapons loader so this hits home! Thanks for sharing!!!

fishshooter, jakewill83 and Boogan1 like this.
  8. jakewill83

jakewill83 Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Awesome video thanks for sharing! I’m a former helo guy but I’m pretty partial to the A10’s after seeing what they can do on a few occasions. That training looks like a lot of fun.

9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Boogan, I do have to ask was it a little unnerving the first time. I know it can certainly be a little spooky having something that looks and sounds like real weapons pointed in your direction.