Veteran's Friendships

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Big John, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    You know it is funny, when I was in college after I got out of the Army I got involved with the Vets Club on campus and the one thing I learned was if men were in a war they don't like to talk about it or if they do it is not real graphic or a lot of detail. The majority of the Vets in the club were Vietnam war Vets and they did say much about the war.

I will also say they were as helpful a group of guys you could ask for, I remember a guy on campus was really screwed up on booze and we all got together and the Nam guys started talking about the habits they kicked. I was surprised at the number of guys with drug addictions that they had beaten. The guy was talking about killing himself and one of the Vets Who's house we were at went a got a .45 put one in the chamber set it on the table in front of the guy and said if you really want to kill yourself there a gun do it but, if you want to kick this we are here to help you. The common bond between us war time or peace time was we all served and they helped that guy beat alcohol.
  2. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I don't think you did anything of the kind CP, what I wrote on the other site was in responce to Posers. The second half of the post is the friendship portion.

3. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
  4. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I am a vet and have spent more time then I wanted in combat, I have met some very good friends and keep in touch with them everyday, sometimes the only one that understands is the Joe you shared a fox hole with!

I cannot say this enough! I thank everyone I can for the overwhelming support of Americas men/women in the military!

"De Oppresso Liber"
    To Liberate the Oppressed
  5. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    As I have posted in this forum and other I did not serve during a time of war, I did my basic and AIT a Fort Jackson South Carolina and stayed state side for length my military service. After my first hitch in the military was over I went to college got a degree and here I am. Nothing special just little old John.
  6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    i have a veterans home that adjoins my property.when they first built it .i thought it was gonna be a pain in the butt,but i think it was the best hing they could have i got to know them,i looked forward to seeing them two or three times a could see them slipping out of doors and heading this way.there would be six wheelchairs going hellbound for the garage.where inside they would call it a succeful escape.once there they would grab their cold ons out of the fridge.which they kept stocked there.they would sit around and argue who had it the roughest time.there three army,one marine,and two air force.they all told alot of stories over the years.but the one thing they had was a bond like i have never seen before,they were all united for sure and very proud of the last regulars to go came by one time and gave his books that his wife had saved during the war,with his medals,pictures,clippings of where he had been from 42 to is one of the most prized things i think i will ever own.the orginal six pack as they called themselves have all passed on now and it is slowly filling up with vietnam vets which seem to be a little quieter men,but proud men just the same.:cheers:
  7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002

good post coyote
  8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    America is #1, thanks to our veterans... :cheers:

It's funny that you brought the subject up, today. I was at the Kansas City VA hospital today, and I watched delivery van after delivery van stop in front of the hospital, and the delivery guys carried bundles of flowers, balloons, candy & whatnot inside.

You know what that made me think of?

Even though these vets are "home", some spend a lot of time in the VA hospital, for one reason or another. Which means they're home, but not the home they'd like to be at.

Our vets don't stop serving, just because they're "home"...if you know what I mean. They live with physical, as well as mental, afflictions, for the rest of their lives. In & out of the hospitals can become the norm...

When I was first disabled ('78), I spent over 6 months in the VA hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. I listened to war stories, day in & day out. Some of these guys would never be released. They fed 'em thorazine, and took 'em outside for an hour or 2 every day, for exercise ~ behind a 10' fence, with concertina wire.

Some weren't even aware that they were home from 'Nam. :frown:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you really want to hear some stories, volunteer at a Veterans' Hospital. You'll hear more stories, than you can shake a stick at...and you'll help brighten a vet's day.

I'll bet'cha that you'd come away with way more than just stories, too.

Just ask JackJr... He's accompanied me to the KCVA hospital, many times. While he's waiting for me to finish with my appointments, he hears all kinds of stuff... :D

As for me, I have no stories to tell.

Well ~ I could tell you some things, but then I'd have to kill ya'... :rotfl:
  9. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    What is a Hero;
    Antonio T. Valera, 1911-2005, United States Navy 1928-1960, WW11, Korea, Liberation of the Phillipines, etc. and on, and on. Oh, one more thing, he was my father! My time in the United States Navy, minute compared to his.
  10. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I'll relay a war story from my grandfather who passed away last spring. He was stationed on one of the islands in the Pacific fighting the Japanese. For some reason he was out on the beach without a weapon. A jap pilot who apparently was out of bullets because he never fired any, tried to kill him several times by flying low to the beach and trying to hit him with the landing gear. Some people wondered why my grandfather had a prejudice against the japanese the rest of his life. We always understood.