VEST, what do you carry in yours? Turkey/Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by Nicholas, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Just curious as to what you folks carry out into the field with you hunting. Whether it be Turkey or Deer hunting, just an average day out for fun.

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Turkey hunting, I carry slate, glass, box, diaghrams, decoys , bottle of water extra shells and a snack.

Bow hunting I carry turkey call slate, flashlight, pruning shears, knife, extra jacket, rubber gloves, warm gloves, grunt tube. bleat can, rattling bag and a bottle of water.
    My limb saw is strapped to my climber:D

:cheers::cheers:

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    IF I wore a vest (which I don't) when I turkey hunted I would probably put in a call, one or two extra shells, my tag, and a pre-smashed moon pie. :)

DSG see's the next big "fad" in turkey hunting as being a modified golf club pull cart for people to haul all their "stuff" in. Hmmmm, DSG was just being a smart@ss but that might not be a half-bad idear.

Sorry....:smiley:

4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Hmmm, a pull cart!?

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    DSG :hysterical: I put my tags in mine and axtra shells and of course a snack or two and a couple of calls.

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Don't ferget the TEEPEE!!!!:dancin:

Jack:cheers:

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Vest? I wear an orange vest when I deer hunt.

When I turkey hunt I carry a gun with three shells in it. I also stuff a couple extra shells in the front pocket of my blue jeans and cram a bottle of water in my back pocket. However, before I sit down I lay the bottle on the ground otherwise I'd be sitting sideways and I might shoot crooked. I use my mouth to call 'em in. If it's sunny I'll wear my sunglass and if it's raining I stay indoors.

8. doublelung

doublelung New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    You better listen to Jack Jr. I forgot once, and was stuck with the nick name of "The One Socked Bandit" for about 2 years. I didn't think they were ever going to forget. Should seen the look on thier faces when I took my boots off and started lookin for another sock. I will loose a sock befor I resort to leaves.

9. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS

:hysterical:...:hysterical:...:hysterical:...:hysterical:...:hysterical:

Jack:D

10. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO

AGREED!!! I have lost gloves in similar situations.

NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THE TP!!!!!!

:toilet::toilet:

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    too much stuff, i know that!

12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    TEEPEE? I won't be staying all night in a TEEPEE, how would you carry one in a vest anyways? I have a backpack tent that only weighs 2lbs, would that work?
    :pop:

13. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    BUG SPRAY! LOTS OF BUG SPRAY! (And don't get it on the stock of your gun (if its wood) or your calls.

Parker

14. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Turlet paper:D (aka TP aka teepee)

:cheers::cheers:

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Bugspray, a couple of friction calls, and a DEAD TURKEY on the way back to the truck!!! Best part of a turkey vest is the dead turkey pouch!!!

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'm gonna vote for TP too! I've lost a few sleeves off of T-shirts due to forgetting that one. Never used a sock, though! Don't need blisters!

Other than that, I carry a compass (learned that one the hard way), a bottle of water, extra shells, knife, rope (if I'm deer hunting).

When I'm deer hunting I usually carry a backpack for my extra stuff. Scent-away spray, safety harness for my deer stand, small saw, etc.

17. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Curious as to why not use your vest for deer hunting as well?

18. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I do. But I can't fit all of my deer hunting stuff in my vest. Thus, I carry a backpack.

19. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
  20. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    My turkey vest has all my calls in it as well as my dekes, a compass, gps, shells, and my lunch and water. My binocs are in a small belt pack that also has my emergency and first aid stuff. During deer season, I carry a backpack which holds the gps, compass, rope, saw, food and water. My deer calls fit in my cargo pants pocket as does my flashlight.

As for the TP, I guess I must be the only one who doesnt carry any TP. I carry paper towels instead because I can tear them into strips and use them as TP, use them as a hanky, or even as a compress in an emergency. They are alot more durable and fold up nicely in my back pockets on my pants so they dont take up any room in my vest or back pack..