venison recipes? list your favorites

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by bigredhusker, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    Got some deer meat from the guy who sold me my property. Plan on getting my own this year. I've searched the web and found a lot of recipes, but I'd like to hear from those on the forum. Also, include your best summer sausage recipes as well... thanks.. I'll start.. Here's one I had tonight.. didn't turn out quite as good as I'd like.. might try again with some maple flavored bacon.. Venison Steaks
    1/2 lb bacon
    1 lb venison steak
    2 cups water
    salt
    black pepper
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    Cut pieces of venison into 1 - inch squares.

Take a thin slice of bacon and cut it just long enough to wrap around the meat.
    Secure with a toothpick.
    Make about 2 dozen pieces.
    Put in a heavy skillet.
    Add water, salt, lots of black pepper and worcestershire sauce.
    Boil rapidly until liquid is nearly gone.
    Reduce heat and cover skillet; continue cooking at low heat until meat is brown.
    The meat will be very rich.

2. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
    This is one of our favs

Take some venison steak and cut it into small cubes (1 inch or so)
    cut a pound of bacon in half aprox 5 or 6 inch strips put a piece of steak and 1 jalapeno slice (pineapple works too) on a piece of bacon and roll up tight put them on kabob skewers with mushroom and onion throw them on the grill and BBQ with yer favorite sauce these are AWESOME

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    BRH,

Try the same recipe again, but instead of the Worshire (ain't even gonna try to spell it) use apricot jelly instead. You can cook it on the grill or in the oven too. I like it on the grill. Just put the jelly on a minute or so before the steaks are done.

Parker

4. One of my favorites:

1 whole tenderloin nicely trimmed
    A1 Classic Marinade sauce
    1 Red Pepper
    1 Green Pepper
    1 Onion
    Cavanders Greek Seasoning

Slice the red and green peppers along with the onion. Next place the tenderloin in a large Ziplock bag next pour in the Marinade sauce and add the peppers and onions. Place in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Next get you grill ready for about medium heat. Take the tenderloin and place it in a cradle of tinfoil w/ the peppers and onions on top. Take the leftover marinade and bring it to a boil on the stove and then use it to baste the tenderloin w/ while cooking. Also, season w/ cavenders to taste. Each side takes about 15-20 minutes. Don't overcook....Enjoy....

5. CodeRed

CodeRed tutoring the most interesting man in the world

May 31, 2007
    great for venison or lamb

marinade:
    2 cups pomegranate juice
    1/2 cup grenadine
    1/2 cup olive oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    3tb chopped rosemary
    1tb cracked black pepper
    zest from 1 lemon
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium shallot, chopped

5-7lb roast (butterflied works best)

marinate in a large plastic bag 24hrs in fridge, turning several times

an hour prior to cooking take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp
    grill until desired doneness is achieved

6. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Killed and grilled, just throw on some worshchestier sauce, garlic powder and pepper and I'm good.

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    take loin stakes about 1"to1.5"

Marinade in lowrys steak and chop marinade

Grill to medium rare

While grilling saute mushrooms in olive oil and chardonay, be liberal with the chardonay and cover while sauteing.

When everything thing is cooked pour the mushrooms and sauce right on top of the steaks

Oh man :bangin: no i'm hungry

8. Timmytaters

Timmytaters Moderator

Feb 14, 2007
    lincoln co. mo
    slice loin 1 inch cook slow in butter when done put meat in slow cooker with milk gravy serve over noodles or mashed potatoes mm mm good

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    tenderloin crowns

i made these tenderloin crowns at the big cat roundup. first when you butcher your deer you leave the ribs attached to the backstraps, a good meat saw works fine for cuttin the ribs from the spine, the ribs make it a crown roast, so they say, anyway, i like them done terriaki style, soak them in kiko soy, alot of garlic, brown sugar, and rice wine, (kinda spensive so a good white will do also) black pepper and a shot of rice wine vinegar. thats the acid that helps break down the meat and make it more tender. be carefull not to use citric acids as they tend to give the meat a grainy texture kinda like liver. soak for 24 hours plus, i then grill the crown using a fruit wood , apple, peach and maybe a bit of hickory. dont over grill, medium rare is what ya want. ask Parker if he liked them.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    pic of the crowns

[file]16574[/file]

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    whats left after Parker got into them....:banana:

12. battman1

battman1 Active Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Ray Co. Mo.
    Season stew meat with whatever you like.Brown meat get potatos going throw in meat and carrots bring to a boil,let it simmer a couple ours and dig in.

13. poppachuck

poppachuck New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    butterfly cut yr loin/strap steaks-- crushed garlic n diced onion in a hot skillet-- brown yr meat then reduce heat to low--add a can or two--(depending on how many yr feeding) of GOLDEN MUSHROOM SOUP-- cover pan n let cook on low about 45 minutes. i serve this with taters or hunks of fresh bread-- you need bread or rolls to get all the gravey!!! good stuff

14. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

For roasts nor more than 1 1/2" thick (or steaks). Rub down with extra-virgin olive oil, pat on rosemary, thyme and garlic.
    Grill until med-rare at MOST.
    Like young lamb.:stirpot:
    My ole man used to over-sauce everything. I didn't start really liking deer until I began to cook it like veal or lamb.

15. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    My all time fav. Tenderloin right off the deer, sliced thin, rolled in flour and lawrys season salt, and fried in bacon grease.

16. Dutch

Dutch Senior Member Team 19

Nov 28, 2003
    Huntsville.Mo
    Loin injected with garlic and herb injector marinade then let it soak for a day and cut it into medallion size bites then put some steak rub on both sides and grill to perfection.

17. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Foro recipe. see thread "last nights dinner!

[file]79985[/file]

18. Ellie May

Ellie May New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    What about deer fajata's? would that count?

:wave:

19. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    yes...now tell us how you make them!!!

20. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    This one is AWESOME

Classic Stroganoff

1 lb of Venison Tenderloin or Steak, or use a boneless beef sirloin steak
    8 oz. Sour Cream
    2 Tbsp. Flour
    1/2 cup Water
    2 Tsp. Instant Beef Bouillon
    1/4 Tsp. Pepper
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    1 1/2 cups Sliced fesh Mushrooms
    1/2 cup Chopped Onion
    1 clove Garlic, minced
    4 cups hot cooked egg noodles

Cut venison or beef, across grain, into 2 x 1/2 inch strips

Mix sour cream and flour in a small bowl. Stir in water, boullion, and pepper; set aside.

Melt butter in large skillet on medium-high heat (adding a splash of olive oil will keep your butter from burning). Add 1/2 of the meat, cook and stir until meat is cooked. Remove meat from skillet. Add remaining meat, mushtrooms, onions, and garlic to skillet. Cook until meat is cooked through and onion is tender. Return all meat to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add sour cream mixture and cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook an additional minute. Spoon over hot egg noodles and enjoy.