Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering when do deer totally stop growing there antlers. I have heard two different things like late August and even till they start loosing there velvet. Or is this at the same time?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
From everything I've ever read, its always said that antlers don't stop completely growing until the velvet starts coming off. As far as a calender time, it is very dependent on the individual buck.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i've always heard the last week of july to the first week of august their basically done and start to harden up

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by Marine95
They stop growing when they don't grow anymore.
:withstupid: Thats THE BEST advice I could come up with also.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,533 Posts
last year, I was getting a lot of pics of 2 bucks. I just checked & the big 8 (high 130 class) was still in velvet as of August 28. The 1 1/2 year old was all bone.

Believe it or not, Jenny passed that big one with her bow. He was better than the one I put down. She has higher standards than I do.:rotfl:

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
as far as I've ever heard...like coyote, they stop during the latter part of July and start to harden...then they strip the velvet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.