Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to check on the food plots this weekend, turned out pretty good except for the water hemp and ragweed, these first 3 pics are WI Powerplant about a half acre. Planted mid June with no rain for the first few weeks but it's looking good now, I broadcasted then ran the drill across w/ soybeans on a very low setting to get the seed covered.

Corn is looking good, I put atrizine down but you wouldnt know it from the amount of weeds

The alfalfa is doing incredible, I just cannot believe how well this is growing. Don't believe everything you hear about alfalfa, I dont bale it, just mow it down like clover to aprox 6". Deer are in this field everyday.

The WI wintergreens are doing great also. Planted July 24th and had good rain shortly afterwards. Sprayed, fertilized, disked then broadcasted the seed right on top all in one day, no cultipacker needed.

Attachments

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
They are all looking good.:eek::

As far as alfalfa goes. When the weevils find it you may understand why I don't grow it anymore.:D

·
Under appreciated
89,807 Posts
What rate of atrazine did you put down? Lots of rain this year, atrazine alone isn't going to hold up very well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What rate of atrazine did you put down? Lots of rain this year, atrazine alone isn't going to hold up very well.
I had a little over a gallon I used on 3 acres the day I sprayed I had to lower the booms as low as possible because it was windy and we didn't get much rain to incorporate it. I still thought it would work better than it did

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are all looking good.:eek::

As far as alfalfa goes. When the weevils find it you may understand why I don't grow it anymore.:D
Did you try any insecticides? I don't have much money in this quarter acre plot so if I had to spray it every now and then that wouldn't be an issue

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Controlling weevils takes a controlled use pesticide. Not saying you couldn't acquire some bootleg, but I didn't want to apply it without a license and couldn't get much interest in having it customed because we only had 5 acres or so.

·
Under appreciated
89,807 Posts
I had a little over a gallon I used on 3 acres the day I sprayed I had to lower the booms as low as possible because it was windy and we didn't get much rain to incorporate it. I still thought it would work better than it did
The standard rate is 2 quarts per acre so you were a little low I suppose.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a 5-acre hay field, well used to be a hay field but in early April I sprayed with RU. I always noticed the fescue holding back the natives so I decided this would be a test field. I'm real happy with how this turned out but not very good at identifying what is what. Is that big blue stem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts