Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ive been hearing alot about vanilla ectact as an attractanct. just wondering if yall have tried it. how do i use it, do i put it on the ground, on feed, on some cotton???? does it have to be real vannilla or can it be imitaion???? sounds like a cheap way to get some good pics, if it works:neuspeuter:

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Never heard of it, but I imagine it is just a curiosity thing for the deer, something new and sweet smelling. If you're going to try it I would do so sparingly. Maybe a few drops on a scent wick or sumpin.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I havent used it in a few year but may try it again this year. I had very good results when I used it before. I used the cheap imitation vanilla extract from wally world and put it in a spray bottle and used it as a cover scent. I sprayed my clothes and boots with it. I have had does downwind of me catch the scent and come wandering my way looking for a tastey treat. (then they became my tastey treat!) I've also watched a doe tracking my trail like a blood hound. Never seemed to do much for bucks because they are thinking with their little brain but the does always seem to be thinking with their stomach and seem to relate the smell with food. I'd recommend using it in the early season when you are competing with all the natural food sources out there. Come the rut, all bets are off.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
:D I've used it a LOT in the past. I buy a gallon container of imitation from Sam's Club. I use a folded paper towel and dab it on my clothes. It is killer for getting does to come in to you from the downwind side.

If I get my buck early (which probably won't happen) I'll be doing it again this year. I had a doe on the upwind side of me while I was using it when I killed my biggest buck.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
I got the idea to use it from the Vanilla Killa spray that the fitzgerald boys put out.

I use so much of it that a lot of my hunting parters don't like walking around me when I'm wearing it.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by Gutpile
I have read where hunters wearing vanilla scent also get attention from Black Bears in states where they are present.

Not so sure if thats a desirable side effect.
Oh yeah, there's no doubt that would happen as much as I put on! :eek:

Parker

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just talked to a guy who said he puts it on tampons:confused: he said not to leave them in the woods because the deer will eat the tampons. new to me. i tought you just squirted on the ground, but i guess u use it as a cover secent...?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by buckbuster
i just talked to a guy who said he puts it on tampons:confused: he said not to leave them in the woods because the deer will eat the tampons. new to me. i tought you just squirted on the ground, but i guess u use it as a cover secent...?
I use it as a cover scent. Yep.....tampons. If'n I'm hanging something around my stand, I'll use rags or cotton balls in a skoal can......thank you. :D

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by buckbuster
if i put it on corn would it make the corn more attractive to the deer?????? or will they smell it and walk away????
My .02, that would be a waste of $ because the vanilla will evaporate.

Parker

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Ditto on the corn idea....plus it's illegal during the season.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by Gutpile
I have read where hunters wearing vanilla scent also get attention from Black Bears in states where they are present.

Not so sure if thats a desirable side effect.
There are documented cases where hunters who have used an abundance if vanilla extract have actually been stalked and attacked by the cookie monster as well. Please be careful when using this in state where cookie monsters are known to be.

:D:hysterical:

Sorry, just had to to that. Yeah, I could see bears liking the smell and climbing into the tree with ya! I wonder if Pman has ever tried the vanilla? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.