Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cheers:Since I'm new here I don't really know where to post this. So I will try here. Walking up and down the Ozark hills is taking it's toll on this 68 yr. old body. I'm looking at a Cub Cadet utility 4x4.. I like what I see but listening also. Cub has been making the "Big Country" series for 4 yrs. now. This is their first 4x4. It has a 20 hp. to move it along. Like I said, I'm listening

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Welcome to Missouri Whitetails Peenuckle...I can't help you with the utility cub-cadet...but just wanted to know how you came up with that handle???

·
19,585 Posts
NICE...

So...which engine are you going with ~ the Kohler Command V-Twin, or the Caterpillar Diesel?

I bought a Polaris Ranger 4x4 UTV last year. One of the best investments I'd made in quite awhile. Sure beats sitting on top of an ATV... :D

The Polaris Ranger has a bench seat, instead of buckets. Much more comfortable IMHO, plus I can ride a third person up front.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going with the Kohler V-Twin. I have the same engine in my 46 in. mower and it's a work horse. I have ATV tires on the mower for pulling out trees, crossing creeks and such. Do all UTV seem to be loud in relation to speed? I want to try a Rino today just to hear it.

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
that thing looks awesome,it ought to bre a good one.i got the deer gator the daughter hasflipped it yet and it not from lack of trying.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Peenuckle, I still say we can get you one of those chair lifts to use up the hill...and, what are you talking about being loud???...you only got one good ear and it ain't all that great!

Peenuckle is my adopted father-in-law, my wife's uncle (we ain't from Arkieland) and my hunting mentor...he also has a bad case of atv-envy!!!

He does need an atv...he's got three bad knees...

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
A good friend of mine that farms has always had a UTV. He had JD gators forever then he had a polaris. He recently (a little less than 2 years ago) traded in for the cub cadet. He hated it. Got rid of it in only a few months.

I don't have any personal experience with the cub cadet, but knowing how much my buddy uses UTVs and hearing his opinion of it I would never buy one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I am sure you will, Isn't nearly all new UTV's using the "continuously variable ' "CVT" belt drive from the engine to the transmission? Or some form of it. The 06 Rhino uses a simular system called a "Ultramatic V-Belt".
Redonthehead, you are right. There is a lot of noise vs movement. The Cub 4x4 is 6 months old. I like it's wide stance and wheel length. I have always been a sucker for new toys.
Dan F., Is your kid still shooting more deer than you?
Take care,

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by Peeknuckle

Isn't nearly all new UTV's using the "continuously variable ' "CVT" belt drive from the engine to the transmission? Or some form of it. The 06 Rhino uses a simular system called a "Ultramatic V-Belt".
Polaris Ranger ~ Drive Train:

Transmission: Automatic - PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission)

Gear Range: In-line, Dual-range forward and reverse

Drive: Switch-engaged On-Demand, 4-wheel shaft drive

Spec's Link: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/Models/RANGER4x4/Specifications.htm

Competitive Comparison (although it doesn't include the Cub Cadet):
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/Models/RANGER4x4/CompetitiveComparison.htm

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Peenuckle...you taught me, I taught the kid...all is good!!! Heck, as it is, I gots to drive your grandson up there from Warrensburg and then track his deer he shot...whats more you want? (I know, I know..."Where you hunting next year?")

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Originally posted by Peeknuckle
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I am sure you will, Isn't nearly all new UTV's using the "continuously variable ' "CVT" belt drive from the engine to the transmission?
I guess all of them that I can think of are. The Polaris "PVT" is a v-belt (made right here in the queen city of the Ozarks) too. I would have to believe the Yamaha is the most refined, although I have never ridden one. I've ridden a Club Car prototype that was real nice. I personally would not have a Mule or much less a Gator. Me? I have two Hondas ATVs, one with a hydrostatic auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My compliments to all of you. This is one of the best sites I have been to. No trash talk and tend to stay on the subject. No need for Dan L. and I to keep barbing each other, you probable could care less.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have a Polaris Ranger and couldn't be happier with it. It will go through just about anything and it will climb hills that some would have a hard time walking up!!! I like it so much I am considering buying another

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.