usually lurk, but can't resist today

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by dlvandyke, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dlvandyke

dlvandyke New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    So I go out around 4pm to see if anything is moving, two nights earlier I saw a fair sized buck cruise through the tall grass definitely headed somewhere. I go in about 30 yards, find a blown over tree stump to sit on and try get comfortable. After an hour or so my throat is itchy and I muffle a few coughs, and reposition cause my left cheek is numb...why is it always my left cheek?
    The squirrels are driving me crazy, acorns are falling all over the place and it feels like I just drank a gallon of coffee...just twitching mildly at this point. About this time I see him, 60 yds away and quartering towards me working his rub line casually. At 40 yds he decides to head off to the left up a trail heading away from me. Bugger, all of this was going like it was scripted from one of those videos you see at Bass Pro.
    Now what am I supposed to do?. As luck would have it I had picked up a grunt call a couple days earlier. at Bass Pro, so I let out a couple grunts and wait. Nothing, so I let out a couple more and wait again. My eyes almost pop out of their sockets as the big bruiser appears at the bottom of the small gulley headed right towards me. He's at 30 yds and closing. My movement and slight noise was covered up by a light breeze rustling the trees as I came to full draw. I kept my 20 yd pin on him as he continued woking his way down the trail, I can't seem to get a open shot. Just before he gets behind some small saplings he stops to graze on some acorns.
    Pin is set tight behind his righft sholder and I let it rip, thwack...I think I hit a tree trunk! The big bruiser turns 90 degrees to the left, and bolts back up the small hill only to pause after 35 yds or so. Too far and too obscured to shoot again I stand and watch in disbelief. Wait, he's starting to wobble. After a few unstable steps he colapses and slides down the bank about 20 yds to his final resting place. It gets calm and quiet as if it was a dream, aside from the fact that I am shaking in my boots! What an incredible hunt, I didn't see this coming!

2. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

Sounds awesome! Are you going to have some pictures for us?

3. Tarsal Gland

Tarsal Gland Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    KC
  4. lma

lma Active Member

:eek:: Good story.....and :welcome:

5. dlvandyke

dlvandyke New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    pic, attempt

[file]145833[/file]

6. Post up some pics! Congrats and welcome!

7. Beat me with the pic. Congrats on a good deer. But I have one question, why are you wearing a safety harness if you shot it off the ground?

8. dlvandyke

dlvandyke New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    couple more

[file]145837[/file]

[file]145835[/file]

9. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
  10. dlvandyke

dlvandyke New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    changed my mind about going to my stand, good idea...no?

11. Tarsal Gland

Tarsal Gland Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    KC
  12. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    awesome, story and pics. Congrats!!! :cheers:

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Freakin AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing that with us and stick around!!

Great story, well told and great buck/great pic!!

14. Gotcha, and I'd say it was a great idea!
    [rquote=1878884&tid=130862&author=dlvandyke]changed my mind about going to my stand, good idea...no?[/rquote]

15. Piney

Piney New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    SW MO
    After that adventure I would imagine you better check your drawers; they are probably soiled! :claphands:

16. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Nice buck, congrats and loved the story

17. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    :claphands::cheers::claphands:

18. dlvandyke

dlvandyke New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    thanks for the kind words, btw I had the shakes for about 3 hrs after this epic adventure