Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Using a Spotlight (without a firearm)

716 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  buffscotty 
#1 ·
Is it true that in Missouri it is illegal to even go out with a spotlight and see deer? I've done it before in Kansas, we honestly go just to see some deer, we have no firearm or any weapons in our posession when we go. Why is this illegal (if it is), it seems an assanine law if you ask me, that is like making you all take down your trailer cams because they use flash when they take pictures...

#5 ·
Originally posted by buffscotty
Wow..that just blows my mind, Hoestly if I did get caught without a weapon I heard they just usually let it slide. What a stupid law.
Think of it this way... two choices.

1) Make it illegal to use a spotlight to aid in taking game, but its ok to use one recreationally to "look-see"
Cons. officials would have lots of calls to follow up on to make sure folks arent
spotting and shooting.
2) Make it illegal to use the spot to aid in taking game AND spotting deer recreationally..
Folks like you, me and many others on this forum who abide by and respect the game laws
will not chance it and thus, lots less calls for the officials to follow up on.

Plus... lots less cattle head-shot!

I never saw the need to spotlight for deer anyways..

#6 ·
We have laws like that here too and they fall under game harrassment. If you are caught shining game, unless you are hunting ***** at night and are in the woods, 1st offence is a warning. 2nd offence is a ticket. 3rd is jail.

#7 ·
The big Pburg, my old stomping grounds. Kind of miss those days of bow hunting and fishing the old quail farm and sportsman pits there west of town. Some really nice deer in there. Welcome to the board.

#8 ·
Like Rat said I believe it was to cut down on sending an agent out to check on every shiner in the county.

We use to go out in the evenings and shine deer alot till the law came into effect. I sure do miss doing it

I think (thats think) you can even get in trouble for haveing a spotlight and a gun in the truck together even if your not shining (I think)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.