Using a bow to nail a bird.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Porkchopsandwiches, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Porkchopsandwiches

Porkchopsandwiches New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    Has anyone had luck trying this? What tips could you give me? This is the first time I am going to try to get a turkey with my bow.

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Not an easy task but can be done, your best bet is to have a GOOD ground blind. But then I for one have never been Spring Turkey hunting:roll2:. I have shot 2 with my bow, one while stalking deer on the ground and believe it or not one while sitting in a tree stand.:D

MoBowman ```----------->

3. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    blind and some dekes helps alot,but setting up behind a big tree and letting them walk by and then thumping works well to.:banana:

4. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I would suggest watching some of the Double Bull Blind videos. They shoot a lot of turkeys out of blinds on all of their videos. I have shot 2 in the spring with a blind and after watching their videos have changed my aiming point. I was told to shoot them just below the beard (when facing you), right up the poop chute (when in strut), and right above the drumstick when sideways. I even have positioned my decoys where they would strut with their butt facing me, which did work. However, it looks like shooting them anywhere in the back when they are walking away produces the best results. They don't seem to go as far. I shot both of the birds I killed in the posterior while strutting and they both flew about 20 yds. I have only shot one above the drumstick and I couldn't find it. It flew away and I found no blood anywhere. I have tried without a blind and I feel as if you will have to be lucky to get drawn. They have so many feathers they don't leave a very good blood trail. I have drawn on several from my tree stand that saw me draw and flew off. Another option is to try the guillotine broadheads that decapitate them. This way you either score or miss leaving no unfound animals. I will try to kill my last bird this spring with my bow and take my boys along. I figure the weather will be warmer and they can move around all they want in the blind. Good luck!

5. First you gotta get a gobbler guilotine!:hysterical::rotfl::hysterical:

6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I hope to have some advice for you in less than three months. So far, don't do what I've done. :bangin:

7. olshep

olshep New Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Antonia, Mo.
    Got one out of my tree stand last fall while deer hunting. But, I really think I just got lucky.

8. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    Luck has alot to do with it. I would lower your draw weight and practice plenty of shots by holding at full draw for a minute and then being accurate at 20 yards hitting a 3 inch circle. I have not shot out of a ground blind, but out of a tree. It is necessary to get drawn well before they come into view and be able to wait until there is a clear shot. I got two birds this fall by coming to full draw and held it for 45 seconds before I got a clear shot. Luck is the biggest factor IMO, but you gotta know where to setup, and anticipate where they are going to walk so that you dont have to move too much to get on them. Shoot for the wing joint, or if facing away, shoot for the backbone right at the base of the tail.

9. Id say the fact that your shooting that parker didnt hurt at all . Good looking birds and bow.

chad

10. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    It is a great bow, Love it to death, though its time for a new string. No complaints.

11. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    A ground blind and a comfortable stool are all I use. Stick a few dekes out in front of you and let them do the work
    :wave:

[​IMG]

12. I know what you mean. Ilove mine but its time to break down and get it crackerized. Its due for a new string and a good tuning.:smiley: