Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these pictures at the end of turkey season so they aren't brand new, but the newest. I'm going to post a couple of pictures from April 9th then the same picture from May 14th. Man are they gettin' with it. I need to mow.

Here's april 9th...

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Same view taken May 14th

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Closeup of same plot from April 9th

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same picture from May 14th

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Just about time for a clippin' Nice plot!!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perspective of growth

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great Lookin plots Hoyt!!! :cheers: I mowed mine down last week and found a little suprise, Had a hen turkey nested about 5' off my biologic colver plot and she never moved while I mowed by her. When I got done mowing I pulled up within 10' feet of her and stopped the tractor and she got up and walked over to the creek. i counted 15 eggs in her nest. Next day I was planting beans down in the bottom and stopped the tractor and went for a little walk, walked right up on her on the nest and she never moved, (just hunkered down) So I backed out went back to the tractor and started planting again.:smiley:

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Wow... 15 eggs.

We jumped a hen one time that had a clutch of 9 and I thought that was a lot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
About a 1/4 mile from my house there is a nest with with 25 eggs underneath it, I'm not lying!!!!!, found it the last week of turkey season on my neighbors property, while chasing an old tom. That's the most I've ever seen! Of course I didn't have a camera!

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Originally posted by Goldtip
About a 1/4 mile from my house there is a nest with with 25 eggs underneath it, I'm not lying!!!!!, found it the last week of turkey season on my neighbors property, while chasing an old tom. That's the most I've ever seen! Of course I didn't have a camera!
Wow... I wonder what the normal (average) clutch is for wild turkey.. regardelss of biotype, course.
Anyone know?

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Alright... I googled.

Clutches of 5 to 15, on average. Not out of the realm of possibility
to see nests containing 20 or more.. wow.... never knew that!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Alright... I googled.

Clutches of 5 to 15, on average. Not out of the realm of possibility
to see nests containing 20 or more.. wow.... never knew that!
All of em I've ever run across had a dozen or less in em...20+ is a bunch!!!!

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Nice plot hoyt, the clover is growing good!'
I cut the tops off of some of mine over the weekend and bailed 169 small bails of alfalfa clover in another area.
Beans just coming up and flowers about a foot tall..needed rain.
Well washed the truck good yesterday morning and here comes the rain...yes...you all can thank me!
Hoyt did you add sulfur and or boron too your clover this year? It was suggested to us(never added before) and it really made a difference..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I wish my plots looked that good. I mowed them this weekend. Doesn't look like I did a very good job with the broadcast seeder, as teh clover is very patchy. Some spots are beautiful - others are simply a weed patch.

Can anyone recommend a herbicide for grass and weed control in a clover plot?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TOBRYAN
I havn't used any sulfer or boron on my plots but have heard about people's good results. This year I had fertilizer mixed that I put on in the spring. I put on a 9-30-32 mix and it seemed to do the trick.

Booches
For grass weeds in a clover plot you can use several products. Some seed companies make them in smaller quantities. If you're going to be using it for quite awhile you can get 2 1/2 gallon jugs of poast or poast plus. That stuff is hard to beat but will also set you back $160 or so. If you have a clover only plot with no chicory or other broadleaf plants in it you can use 2-4D B and it will kill your broadleaf weeds and not harm your clover.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
That clover is lookin awesome!!
:cheers::cheers

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Booches
For grass weeds in a clover plot you can use several products. Some seed companies make them in smaller quantities. If you're going to be using it for quite awhile you can get 2 1/2 gallon jugs of poast or poast plus. That stuff is hard to beat but will also set you back $160 or so. If you have a clover only plot with no chicory or other broadleaf plants in it you can use 2-4D B and it will kill your broadleaf weeds and not harm your clover.

HS:

Yes, it's clover only. So Poast for grasses, and 2-4D B for broadleaf?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.