Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Woods, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Stupid lab calls our doctor yesterday and says the test we have been waiting for the last 4-5 weeks was botched and they will have to have to re-do the test. Meaning we start the 6 week waiting process all over again. Our doctor is calling them today to chew some :ass: and see if they can get it done faster. Meanwhile our daughter is now worst and running 102-103 fever and they have no idea why.
  2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Woods keep the faith man! I know it is hard. Your daughter is in my thoughts and prayers!

3. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Hate to hear that.....there is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. Prayers your way.:cool:
  4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yep.. keep your chin up. We're pulling for you and your little girl.
  5. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Keep the faith and hang in there. Will keep her in o
    ur thoughts n prayers bud. :)
  6. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Hang in there! We'll keep you all in our prayers.
  7. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    First I am sorry for what your family is going thru, you have my prayers.

Before you go off on the labs. Understand more than 90% of the time what was actually went wrong was at the Drs. office. I routinely get sent the wrong tubes, hemolyzed blood, wrong temp, and totally wrong specimens, unlabeled specimens, tubes labeled with the wrong name, and specimens that are to old. All of which not only make it impossible, illegal, and totally immoral for the lab to run the test.

Up on the floors of the hospital I hear nurses and Drs. telling the patients that the lab screwed up, when the truth is they did. That CSI stuff on TV is not real. If the specimen is not handled correctly the lab HAS to throw it away, because it will not give the correct results. An example you might equate it with is if someone handed you a crossbow bolt and a empty 22 rifle and said go get me that bear. That is the CR@P they send us then blame us when we cancel the test.
    To find out if was really the lab that screwed up, the lab will have sent a result sheet, stating how they messed the sample up. It will say, dropped on floor, wrong chemical added AT lab, lab stored AT wrong temp. This sheet MUST be put into the medical chart. Labs must and are legally obligated to send this info to be placed in the medical chart. If it was the Dr or nurse you won’t find this sheet a lot of the time, they don’t like people knowing about their mistakes. If it is not in the chart, I’m willing to bet that it was a Dr or nurse screw up. Also check the billing, they will usually, but not always run the next test for free if it is a lab error. Some tests are so delicate and have so many restrictions that it is usual to have 3 or 4 screw ups, and some you have to do a series of test, and sometimes we are not sent enough sample, we may need 10 ml. of blood and they only sent us 5 ml. Some tests are only done in one spot in the entire world, and during shipping they are messed up. Respected labs will always fess up to their mistakes, we cannot afford in the labs to lie or hide things, if we do it could cost someone their lives. Wrong medicine given, wrong treatment given, wrong blood given, to much medicine, not enough medicine given. It is a everyday thing for me to throw 1% to 10% of specimens away because it was sent to us wrong. Each specimen thrown away creates 10 minute of extra paper work for me, I hate throwing away specimens. There is no guessing in the labs, if there is a question we call on it, if the Dr or nurse gives us a inconsistent answer, we must ask for a redraw. There are less than 100 test in the world that take up to 6 weeks, and those test are the most delicate, time consuming, usually series test there are.
  8. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Hang in there woods! We've gotcha in our prayers and thoughts.
  9. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    Prayers for you and yours
  10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Woods, we're thinking about you and praying for your daughter. Keep the faith.
  11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

No doubt, Woods, keep on keepin on, we're all behind ya!!!
  12. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
  13. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Things will work out, Hang in there.
  14. Woods

Thanks folks, frustrating to have to wait 6 weeks for a gene test, only to be told 4-5 weeks later they have to start all over.
  15. V.P.

V.P. New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Woods as Lynette said...

...my wife and I still have your daughter on our prayer list.

However, Lynette is correct. And I posted on this subject before, you need to get her another doctor.

My experience with doctors screwing up goes as follows. My wife and I both go to the same general practioner for a physical. We both ask for complete blood work ups. I spefically request thatmy thyroid function be checked. This was advice from my mothers doctor since she does have thyroid problems and said that her sons should also be checked.

When the test come back it was my wifes blood that was tested for thyroid function and mine was not since according to my doctor was not necessary since men do not have thyroid problems. Needless to say I have not been back to this so called doctor. :mad:
  16. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    WoW, my dad and my cousin had thyroid cancer, males not have thyroid problems my :ass:

Sorry about being side tracked Woods, if you just U2U me the test name I can tell you how long the test takes, and were in the U.S. it is done.
  17. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    My thoughts exactly.....KEEP THE FAITH!
  18. Woods

The test is called a 'gene' test. My wife says is a dna test.
  19. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Some currently available DNA-Based gene tests, this is less than half of the test that are DNA-Based gene test. There are very few labs in the country that do this type of testing.

Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (AAT; emphysema and liver disease)

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; Lou Gehrig's Disease; progressive motor function loss leading to paralysis and death)

Alzheimer's disease* (APOE; late-onset variety of senile dementia)

Ataxia telangiectasia (AT; progressive brain disorder resulting in loss of muscle control and cancers)

Gaucher disease (GD; enlarged liver and spleen, bone degeneration)

Inherited breast and ovarian cancer* (BRCA 1 and 2; early-onset tumors of breasts and ovaries)

Hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer* (CA; early-onset tumors of colon and sometimes other organs)

Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT; loss of feeling in ends of limbs)

Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH; hormone deficiency; ambiguous genitalia and male pseudohermaphroditism)

Cystic fibrosis (CF; disease of lung and pancreas resulting in thick mucous accumulations and chronic infections)

Duchenne muscular dystrophy/Becker muscular dystrophy (DMD; severe to mild muscle wasting, deterioration, weakness)

Dystonia (DYT; muscle rigidity, repetitive twisting movements)

Fanconi anemia, group C (FA; anemia, leukemia, skeletal deformities)
    Factor V-Leiden (FVL; blood-clotting disorder)

Fragile X syndrome (FRAX; leading cause of inherited mental retardation)

Hemophilia A and B (HEMA and HEMB; bleeding disorders)

Hereditary Hemochromatosis (HFE; excess iron storage disorder)

Huntington's disease (HD; usually midlife onset; progressive, lethal, degenerative neurological disease)

Myotonic dystrophy (MD; progressive muscle weakness; most common form of adult muscular dystrophy)

Neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1; multiple benign nervous system tumors that can be disfiguring; cancers)

Phenylketonuria (PKU; progressive mental retardation due to missing enzyme; correctable by diet)

Adult Polycystic Kidney Disease (APKD; kidney failure and liver disease)

Prader Willi/Angelman syndromes (PW/A; decreased motor skills, cognitive impairment, early death)

Sickle cell disease (SS; blood cell disorder; chronic pain and infections)

Spinocerebellar ataxia, type 1 (SCA1; involuntary muscle movements, reflex disorders, explosive speech)

Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA; severe, usually lethal progressive muscle-wasting disorder in children)

Thalassemias (THAL; anemias - reduced red blood cell levels)

Tay-Sachs Disease (TS; fatal neurological disease of early childhood; seizures, paralysis)

PII: S0304-3959(99)00236-5
    Keywords:Fabry disease;a-Galactosidase A de®ciency; Painful crises; Cold provocation; Glycosphingolipids accumulation

• Some segments of the population with acute IM are heterophile antibody negative(1).

GE-2827 hCG DI
    The OSOM hCG Combo Test is a rapid immunoassay for the qualitative detection of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in urine or serum as an aid in the early determination of

Cerezyme | Testing Options for Gaucher Disease
    A doctor can diagnose Gaucher disease by using a blood test (called an assay). The assay for Gaucher disease measures activity levels of the enzyme glucocerebrosidase.

The OSOM®Ultra Strep A Test is a color immunochromatographic assay intended for the qualitative Strep A.

The OSOM®Strep A Test is intended for the qualitative detection of Group A Streptococcal antigen from throat swabs or confirmation of presumptive Group A Streptococcal colonies

Chorionic Villi Sampling (CVS)
    A procedure that allows a pregnancy to be tested for certain kinds of birth defects

carrier testing
    Patient Selection Ashkenazi Jewish individuals, with no family history , referred for molecular carrier testing for one or more of the 7 conditions listed

The OSOM®Trichomonas Rapid Test is intended for the qualitative detection of Trichomonas vaginalis ("Trichomonas") antigens from vaginal swabs or from the saline solution prepared when making wet mounts from vaginal swabs.

Thyrogen®(thyrotropin alfa for injection) contains a highly purified recombinant form of human thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), a glycoprotein that is produced by recombinant DNA technology.

Fabrazyme | Fabry Testing Information
    There are tests that can determine if you or a family member has Fabry disease or carries the Fabry gene.