Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this summer my kids and I took a trip up to WI to visit family. On the way back we stopped at "House on the Rock" and toured the museum on the grounds. They had an unusual collection of guns. Mostly things out of the ordinary like mutiple barreled pistols, hidden guns(like in fake legs or canes), and fancy, elaborate presentation style rifles that would be given to royalty. They also had a few of these rifles that had double or triple locks fitted to a single barrel. I'm guessing that the powder/patch/ball loads go in one after the other. And the patch and ball from the previous load will seal off the powder from the next load at the time of ignition. They looked to be oriental or middle eastern in origin. I have never seen or heard of anything like this. Have any of you more experianced people seen guns like this before? Do you think this would really work? If it does it would be a neat way to get off multiple shots.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
If there is only one bbl with one breech, I dont see how that dealy would work??

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by novicehunter
The first guy to ever fire that must have had ba__s of steel, not in the barrel either.

Early 1800 version of: "Hey ya'll watch this"
Good explanation of what I was thinkin....lol....

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Oneof those "be sure and pull the trigger in the right order" kinda gun!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
OK I'm glad I'm here forya! Being from WI I know all about such weapons! See we drink a bit more beer up dare dan ya do here! So if you for get to put in da powder the first time, ya load it for the second cap! Den if ya for git again an da buck is still standin dare ya load it for the turd cap! Dats where the 3 strike rule came from EH!

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
That's definatly an interesting gun!
And I bet its worth a TON too!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Originally posted by Snowman
OK I'm glad I'm here forya! Being from WI I know all about such weapons! See we drink a bit more beer up dare dan ya do here! So if you for get to put in da powder the first time, ya load it for the second cap! Den if ya for git again an da buck is still standin dare ya load it for the turd cap! Dats where the 3 strike rule came from EH!
That makes sense :hysterical::hysterical::cheers:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Big John
It looks to be a matter of placing the charge next to the side lock in the top 2 and there must be a block to stop the ignition of the lower ones.
That's simular to what I was guessing. Maybe some sort of wadding or something. Be interesting to find out more.

Thanks for the reminder Snowman. After living down here for 10 years I forgot how mesmerizing those really big bucks can be.:D

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,282 Posts
House on the Rock is a very interesting place to go. Well worth the price of admission.

There's a huge gun collection in one of the areas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You had it right on how they worked. The concept was not very successful for obvious reasons. They were loaded with a greased leather patch to try and keep the pressure from blowing past the seal and setting off the other charges. Obviously, it was never 100 percent reliable.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info runner. Like I stated in my original post, they seemed to be oriental or mid-eastern in design. Do you know any more about them or where I can find out more?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.