Unlimited fly of the day thread

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by 421sd, Mar 25, 2015.

1. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Any color you want as long as it flamed.

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    lol!! How flamed might be a question to be asked!!!

421, I hear the same thing frequently. Every time I'm on a warm water creek chasin' smallies or 'gills if I run into someone often they're very friendly or, sometimes smug, to remind me "there ain't no trout in here". Or they'll ask what I'm fishing for. The first comment doesn't dignify a response. The second my answer is always the same, "fish". I learned to fish for 'gills, smallies and largemouth with a fly rod long before I made the first cast for trout. It ain't the fly fisherman whose the dummy.

421sd likes this.

3. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDZnc6x0bw[/ame]

4. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Wise goes fishing with one of my buddies:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QwYFuSUZo[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEYtxBJ8DA[/ame]

5. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Well, musky fishing is over for me until fall due to water temps around 80 now.

So I took the 10-weight smallie fishing to see if I could get some stink on this rod.

River smallies in current put on a pretty good tug, even on a 10!

Attached Files:

6. OutbackBio

OutbackBio Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City
    I love the Bronzeback IPA!
    I need to break out the fly rods, it's been too long. Great catch!
    I'm looking at new rods now, I need to play with a few. Looking at 3wt for small streams and bluegill in ponds. More of a moderate action but with some backbone. The TFO finesse has my interest. I can't justify $400+ at this point. Any recommendations?

7. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Thanks Outback! I'm not a rod expert but the TFO BVK series is highly regarded, been wanting to buy a BVK blank and build a rod. The BVK is at a little higher price point than the Finesse though. TFO site lists that Finesse around $200, that's not bad but I guess you need a reel and line so that is gonna push $400 like you said. Redington makes decent rods at reasonable prices. A buddy of mine who's a little more in tune with rod capabilities is complaining that most of the manufacturers are building the blanks a little softer/slower action because it's easier to cast, and fast actions are getting hard to find.

8. OutbackBio

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City

Thanks for the feedback. I should just build a couple fly rods, I've built a lot of casting and spinning St Croix rods in the past. For some reason I'm leaning towards a built rod from the warranty standpoint if I'm ever on a trip and need a replacement. Been looking a lot at Sage. I'll check into Redington. Echo also seems to be a up and coming company. Still love my St Croix too though. Too many choices and not enough money!

9. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Check your bank account for the SAGE, but they are fine rods. I wanted a Sage One blank for my intended build but the blank alone is over $400.

I know what you mean on the choices/money.....every time I get a new rod I'm already looking at what I want next.

10. OutbackBio

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City

Cabelas has some great Sage deals right now.

11. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Went to the cement pond today with the 2-weight. Caught about 20 of the little greenies. Little but pretty.

Green-1.jpg
    Green-2.jpg

Tying moss flys tonight.

moss.jpg

catdaddy likes this.
  12. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Those little longear's are as pretty as ANY trout and fight all out of proportion to their size. I need to get on the creek and catch some!

That fly should have plenty of action!!!!

13. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    ....looks like what we always called a flesh/gut fly.Tied white with a little pink or red in it.They were good later in morning at Bennett,after peeps would gut fish streamside.
    I never could figure why fish seem to go crazy at Bennett for guts but not at meremec springs?

14. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Moss fly is for casting to some of these grassies.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.02.13 AM.png

15. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Did you haul that in on a fly rod?!?!?!?!?!?! Good grief...talk about fresh water bonefish....only bigger!!!

421sd likes this.
  16. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    No, my cousin's boy whacked that with a bow out of their pond/lake. That one was about 45 pounds, he also whacked one that was 56 pounds. These fish are visible this time of year so I'm going to try to make a couple of trips up to give them a try. Going up this weekend to fish and hopefully see the eclipse in totality.

17. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Wow...I expect even with a bow both of those were a kick in the pants!!

421sd likes this.
  18. watermen

watermen Member

Dec 22, 2011
    I bought three rods to take up north with me this summer. The BVK was in a 6 weight and I found it too soft for my purposes, we were chunking some big lamprey and smolt patterns for trout, but it was fine for grayling. I bought a used 9-6 7wt sage vpx and was my favorite of the bunch. The 9wt st croix was a little slow as well and you had to double haul to really load it well and get any distance. I like fast rods and loner 9-6 to 10 footers and fish primarily older sage RPLX's when I'm serious. The early trout fishing was very good this year, but the silvers never showed before I flew home. Ebay has some good deals on used rods if you don't mind used and I personally don't, some of them clearly have never been loved.

421sd likes this.
  19. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I've been hearing more and more guys complaining that the manufacturers are slowing the action on the fly rods. I need a 6-weight and I've been considering a BVK either to build or just buy one, but haven't pulled the trigger. Would like a Sage One but don't feel comfortable coughing up the dough for one. Maybe I need to start shopping Ebay.

20. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Shizam.