Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
81 - 100 of 285 Posts
421, you are entirely too neat and tidy......:D

Discussion starter · #82 ·
421, you are entirely too neat and tidy......:D
Boy, have I got you fooled!:hysterical:

My den is pretty chaotic right now trying to get ready for our vacation.....

We won't even talk about the garage....or the barn........:eek:

That's messy? If you're trying to entice me to post a picture of my benches you're out of your mind.....lol!!!!!!! I have 3 rifle projects going on at the moment and with fire forming and trimming cases, casting bullets, neck turning cases, making various pilots for trimming and case neck turning, loading the cases, sizing and lubing bullets and with tying the fly's for cat and my friend in PA things are semi-organized chaos!!

I'm done for this trip. This will be what I take to the salt....
Outstanding! :eek::

Is the fly box with the foam commercial? I made a couple out of "craft boxes" I caught on sale. I glued 2 pieces of foam together, cut slits to the depth of one piece, and glued it in the box. Worked slick as a whistle and I think I had less than $5 in each box. The latches look identical is why I wondered.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Outstanding! :eek::

Is the fly box with the foam commercial? I made a couple out of "craft boxes" I caught on sale. I glued 2 pieces of foam together, cut slits to the depth of one piece, and glued it in the box. Worked slick as a whistle and I think I had less than $5 in each box. The latches look identical is why I wondered.
Nope, I did exactly what you did. I made two of them for around $12 I think. The 'commercial' made ones are pretty much exactly the same thing and they cost like $45. You've probably seen them, the yellow ones.

Nope, I did exactly what you did. I made two of them for around $12 I think. The 'commercial' made ones are pretty much exactly the same thing and they cost like $45. You've probably seen them, the yellow ones.
Yeah I saw them, and then I said no thank you. :D

One other thing I did was put Velcro on the lid and attatch a couple of smaller boxes there. Gives me a place for other stuff like strike indicators, split shot, tools, etc.
Or I can put different fly boxes on there. I also figured I could rig up another slotted foam piece but put Velcro on the back instead of permanently gluing it in if I strictly want more flies in the foam.

Discussion starter · #90 ·
It's winter, so time to start tying..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taaVEgTIouQ

Attachments

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Well, in spite of Mr. Bohen's recommendation, 210 Denier is not suitable for these big flys. After breaking it twice on one fly, I'm going back to the Big Fly 400.

Wow! Well done!!! Is that for another trip to the salt water? What about the white, is that bucktail?

Discussion starter · #94 ·
Thanks Sharps! Doubt I get to the salt this year. These flys are pretty big, mostly for my 2017 bucket list feeshes. That one is 7 inches long, not super huge, but big. Tied on a 2/0 hook. After I tie up a batch of these I'll probably do some 2-hook articulated flys of various designs.

I think part of my problem with breaking the thread is my cheap bobbin is getting worn. May go buy me one of those fancy ceramic-tipped bobbins.

The 2017 bucket:
Striper
Hybrid striper
Musky (#1 hit-lister)
Pike.......maybe, iffy
Plus another secret fish I'll reveal if I catch one/any! :D

I think one of the ceramic bobbins would cure a lot of my thread breaking ills also. It doesn't happen often but as you no doubt know, always at the worst possible time.

7 inches long. Must be like casting a wet chicken....lol!! I expect a 7 or 8 wt. rod would handle that well, yes? That's as big as some of the fish I catch on my little 6'6", 4 wt. bamboo!!! We need to hook up and you cast that rod, I think you'd like it.

Discussion starter · #97 ·
If you're having problems breaking thread, try using GSP. I use it tying Y2K's. Toughest stuff I've seen yet.
I have a couple of guys that keep telling me that, LOL. Guess I do need to try some, I just never think about it when I'm picking up thread for some reason. Big Fly 400 works good, but I tried the 210 per the Brad video and I guess I'm too forceful for that lighter thread on bigger flys.

7 inches long. Must be like casting a wet chicken....lol!! I expect a 7 or 8 wt. rod would handle that well, yes? That's as big as some of the fish I catch on my little 6'6", 4 wt. bamboo!!! We need to hook up and you cast that rod, I think you'd like it.
Yes, we keep saying we need to fish together so let's make it happen soon! I sent you a note, but I'm tying these flys to have a big a profile with as little material as possible. They shed water quickly and cast well despite the relatively light 8-weight rod.

I went to the fly shop yesterday and got a ceramic bobbin, and popped for some Clear Cure Goo and an ultra-violet curing light. Not cheap, but I like that stuff!!

This one turned out well:

Attachments

Wow....what a honkin' fly!!! I expect you're going to do like many of us and stay close to the fire this afternoon and tomorrow, wrappin' feathers, hackle and buck tail on hooks? I have zero experience with any of that UV glue but it must be the cats meow. I imagine it would be great on fly's.

I believe I'm going to fire up the lead furnace and see if I can duplicate those results of a few days ago. If so I'm headed to town to get a lottery ticket....:D

Discussion starter · #99 ·
Wow....what a honkin' fly!!! I expect you're going to do like many of us and stay close to the fire this afternoon and tomorrow, wrappin' feathers, hackle and buck tail on hooks? I have zero experience with any of that UV glue but it must be the cats meow. I imagine it would be great on fly's.

I believe I'm going to fire up the lead furnace and see if I can duplicate those results of a few days ago. If so I'm headed to town to get a lottery ticket....:D
If I wasn't so busy with family stuff this weekend I might try to twist some hair and feathers.......may have a little time tonight. I think I'm going to do a big articulated - haven't tied one for a couple of years now.

Good luck with the boolits!:eek::

Discussion starter · #100 ·
Found time to work this one up. Two 2/0 hooks connected with coated wire.

I only poked myself twice tying it up.:mad2:

Attachments

81 - 100 of 285 Posts