Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
You have been blessed. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 421sd

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Gottal love bronzebacks!!

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Gottal love bronzebacks!!
I'm in a smallie smalls rut this year so far. Haven't caught one on the fly larger than 10 or 11 inches yet this year. The nice ones in the pics were all my buddies' fish. Went wading a creek yesterday, and more of the same, but it was a nice trip and felt good wading the waters. I'll post up pics on that one soon.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I haven't been yet this year, again. Been working on the TF and with those two rifles. Talked to a young man from church and he and I are planning on one evening this week. Probably just hit a neighbors lake for some BG's and probably some LM.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
FB546D17-AE0D-44FC-BA3A-441143EA0CD0.png
Did the catch and release thing at Bennett for the final weekend last week. One of the first few fish of the year. Trout seem to be my go to first fish of the year the last few years.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
You going after muskies with that?
Musky/pike. Actually tying 5 of these and 5 of another fly for a fly swap. Will tie a couple extra of each for myself.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Looks like you faired well..??..
Yes, nice haul of flys! Couple of fly types in this mix that I have been wanting try but haven't gotten around to tying myself yet. Going to make a local test run in the next few days to see how some of these fish. Then off to Minnesota.

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
Beautiful flies. I hope you get plenty of time to try some you tied as well as vs. some of the swappers. Can't wait to see the picture results. :tup:

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Other people's flys - 2.0 / Covid edition

My BIL (Clayton) and I are discussing last fall……we haven't been to Canada for several years. Ever since my first trip to Canada, I'm a bit of a Pike junkie. Love the fish and where they live. Like to eat them some too. They are simply not available in the Ozarks (I have some Esox available, but that's another story…). So unbeknownst to me, he starts planning. Researches, settles his thoughts, and presents his plan to me. One day drive, two days fishing, one day drive home. Pike and Walleye, in theory. I'm all in - book it.

Then Covid pandelerium hits.

screeching halt.gif

Trip is in jeopardy. Nobody knows what tomorrow is bringing, plans up in the air. Weeks pass, Covid knowledge (sifted from (mis)informations) builds and safe practices emerge. Things begin to open back up slowly and such…..

Screw it, let's go.

Fly vs. Jerk - maybe you guys n gals have seen these friendly competitions on the socials. Anyhow, Clayton is the Jerk….

We make the day's drive and arrive at our cabin with a few hours of light left to try a few casts. Cabin is on a lake, but it's main features are bullheads and winter kill. Less than 10 minutes away is another lake with good stats from Clayton's research.

Cabin-1.jpg

Trumpeters

Trumpeters.jpg

ramp.jpg

Having just participated in a recent Esox fly swap, I'm flush with a solid variety of patterns to try, along with my own junk. We motor to the closest bay and find it well vegetated. Some number of casts in Clayton gets the first bite, but loses the fish to bite-off (no bite-guard leader….).

Fly produces first fish of the trip. That's the only fish boated that evening, but we head to dinner with optimism.

Pike-1 D.jpg

First full day we try another lake. Weather seemed perfect, soft rain, light wind. Vibe wasn't happening, fish not biting.

Clayton-2.jpg

Quick lunch break and we decide to head back to our 'home' lake.

I caught this one on my own swap fly. Clayton was catching several on a blue back jerk bait and that was the closest fly I had color-wise.

FOT.jpg

Second full day we tried another lake and went in hard for walleye. Weather seemed perfect, soft rain, light wind. Vibe wasn't happening, fish not biting. After fishing well into the afternoon with only a few pike caught, we decided home lake was the place for us to finish the trip.

Walleye-not.jpg

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Back on 'home' lake for the final evening, we both caught a good number of pike and Clayton found a bass on topwater. I even made it home with all of the flys. :cheers:

Clayton-1.jpg

Pike-2.jpg

Pike-3.jpg

Pike-4.jpg

Pike-5.jpg

Selection.jpg

Well-deserved-beer.jpg

Eaters.jpg

Field-sunset.jpg

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
Very nice pics. Thanks for the viewing pleasure.
Catching pike on the flies/fly rod has got to be a little extra fun.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Very nice pics. Thanks for the viewing pleasure.
Catching pike on the flies/fly rod has got to be a little extra fun.
Ya gotta be a little crazy to do it but it is a blast. Water was pretty clear on the lakes we were fishing in and I got to see most of the takes - exciting!

221 - 240 of 267 Posts