Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
181 - 200 of 285 Posts
Slow rods made today? Bear in mind where I'm coming from, unless you've cast and fished with a 9 foot bamboo rod from about 1900, you don't know slow rods.....:D A fella could drink a cup of hot coffee waiting for the back cast to straighten out!!!!!....

I expect it's just me and maybe how I cast but with a slower rod I do believe I get a softer, more delicate presentation. They're also tougher to cast in the wind for me.

Reactions: 421sd
Discussion starter · #182 ·
I haven't cast a bamboo Sharps, but I can imagine the loop being big and open on that slow action. Big open loops are a headache for sure in the wind. I have trouble in the wind even with a tight loop, but my casting is pretty lack-lustre.

This is very different fishing than your used to Vic. Schools of bows are chasing schools of smolt out of the lake into the river as they head to the ocean. You can see the schools coming by the birds diving and as the school gets closer you heave a weighted 2 or 4 clouser as close as you can and strip as fast as you can to look like a panicked baby salmon. Not finesse fishing, but the fish get big. Nothing over 10 this year, but i've caught them to 15 doing this. Think blues with spots.

Look up Coastal Creek Outfitters. The guy will build you a CUSTOM BVK fly rod with your choice of thread colors, guides, handle shape and reel seat for 220.00!!! He is the largest volume BVK custom maker in the world. Backed by a lifetime warranty. I had him build my TFO BVK and and happy with it. The price can't be beat.
I am used to fast action fly rods and this took a bit of getting used to. It is fast, but has a stiff butt with more flex in tip to protect tippets. Once I got the feel for it I have become pretty fond of it and it is one of my main go-to rods now.

Also, the Bass Pro Shops 270 fly rod I have is a friggin cannon. For heavy nymph rigs, streamers or windy days it by far is my first choice. They still make them and are reasonable although they have changed a bit over the years. Not sure if they are the same action now but If I ever broke/lost mine, I would be on the phone ordering another the same day.
It is a serious big river/heavy fly/wind defying rod with a super action if you like 'em fast.
In all honesty, this rod is the standard by which I judge all fast action fly rods by.

Discussion starter · #186 ·
Manitou, my 8-wt rod is a 270 and it has been a good rod for me, especially for the price. I've caught pike, SM, LM, white bass, spanish mackerel, and a couple others on that rod. They have synthetic grips on the newer ones, but I prefer cork which my older rod has. I have a 10-wt BPS Heat rod that has the synthetic on it and I actually like it even though I would still rather have cork on it. The grip is a hard synthetic that grips well even when wet, and isn't soft and crappy like that stuff they put on spinning rods back in the 90s and 2000s. There's some pics of it with smallies a couple of pages back on this thread.

Discussion starter · #187 ·
Look up Coastal Creek Outfitters. The guy will build you a CUSTOM BVK fly rod with your choice of thread colors, guides, handle shape and reel seat for 220.00!!! He is the largest volume BVK custom maker in the world. Backed by a lifetime warranty. I had him build my TFO BVK and and happy with it. The price can't be beat.
I am used to fast action fly rods and this took a bit of getting used to. It is fast, but has a stiff butt with more flex in tip to protect tippets. Once I got the feel for it I have become pretty fond of it and it is one of my main go-to rods now.
That's what a factory BVK costs. I'm surprised he can make any money doing it for that price. The blank and the components I priced to build myself would cost me $250 easy. I need to cast one of these, because you make it sound like what I want.

waterman, no doubt about that!! I'd feel pretty much out of place.....for just a while....I hope....:D I was talking more about the extreme slowness of the really old rods. It was a hoot fishing with my old 1900 era 'boo rod a couple times but I wouldn't want a steady diet of it. That little longear 421 posted would have about bent that old rod double, it is that much a wet noodle. I have a few rods from the 1920's and 1930's which are a lot faster than that old beast but still pretty slow. With 'boo rods from the 40's and 50's a fella used to graphite should be able to cast them easily pretty quick but, they're still slow compared to graphite or even the 'boo rods of today. Get too horsey with them and all one will have is tailing loops and snapped off tippets and fly's.

Discussion starter · #189 ·
Went for a three day float. Needed it after working a long summer without many weekends of any free time.
Water Boat Plant Sky Watercraft
Tin Wood Table Tin can Aluminum can
Water Underwater Fluid Fish Marine biology
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish People in nature
Boat Sky Cloud Watercraft Water
Ash Bonfire Wood Fire Flame
Vertebrate Water Fish Aluminium foil Foil
Fisherman Fishing Terrestrial plant Recreational fishing Fish
Water Fin Organism Fish Underwater
Blue Plant Wood Outdoor bench Natural landscape

Discussion starter · #195 ·
I see nice crappie jigs being tied on a current thread. Post those up in here too guys.

I have some stuff in the que for Pastor...

My latest creation. Blaine Chocklett's T-Bone pattern - 2 articulations with a 5/0 hook and using Chockletts body tubing. No, I have no idea yet if I can even throw this. Tied this one mostly as an exercise, will downsize the pattern for future work I'm thinking.

Organism Terrestrial plant Insect Arthropod Feather

Discussion starter · #197 ·
You planning any trips up North ehh????
Looking like next year for north of the border. I'll be dunking the big streamers locally in the meantime....

How about you?

Looking like next year for north of the border. I'll be dunking the big streamers locally in the meantime....

How about you?
Going the first of April back to my buddies on Black Sturgeon near Kenora. My oldest is going this year . She's finishing up testing and other requirements for HS so it's going to push us back a bit from our normal time (walleye opener).... first time for her so really looking forward to it!

181 - 200 of 285 Posts