Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Unlimited fly of the day thread

30K views 284 replies 24 participants last post by  421sd 
#1 ·
Any of you jokers tying flys or jigs? Post em up, lets have a running fly thread.

This is some of the stuff I've been tying this winter getting ready for my trip to Canada. Nothing fancy, mostly big-n-uglys for pike. Pikies likes colours. These range in hook size from 1/0 to 5/0.

Need to start tying some stuff aimed at smallies too.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
i used to tie several hundred a winter, getting prepped for spring steelhead, i don't need to tie so much anymore beause i don't live right on a steelhead river like i used to

#4 ·
When and where are you going canada? We normally make the walleye opener on black sturgeon lake Canada.
North of Dryden, Ontario, in early June. A little later than we like to go, but it's when we could. Almost no walleye in the lake we go to, have to go to a portage or another little lake we can drive to for them. The lake we hit is primarily a Pike and Smallmouth lake, with Lakers as well. Supposedly there are Musky but we've never caught one. Whitefish and Yellow Perch are there too.

#5 ·
That last one is going to be like casting a wet chicken......nice flys!! Is that olive buck tail on the top ones?

I haven't tied any all winter. As I've fished twice in the last two years I haven't fed many to the tree, rock and brush gods.

#6 ·
That last one is going to be like casting a wet chicken......nice flys!! Is that olive buck tail on the top ones?

I haven't tied any all winter. As I've fished twice in the last two years I haven't fed many to the tree, rock and brush gods.
Yeah, I may have overdone it on the red/white. I got a little too much material on the back hook and not quite enough on the front. Kind of an experiment to see how big of a fly I can work.

I've never tied articulated flys before so they're a new deal for me.

All of these have buck tail on them. Trying to use materials that shed water as much as possible so I can throw a reasonably big profile that doesn't get too heavy.

#7 ·
If that red & white chicken has a spun deer hair head, you're a better man than me Charlie Brown!

#8 ·
On the first picture, what did the cork on the right with the wooden top come out of?
I would have guessed 4 Roses Small Batch but the blue seal is throwing me for a loop. :thinking:

#9 ·
On the first picture, what did the cork on the right with the wooden top come out of?
I would have guessed 4 Roses Small Batch but the blue seal is throwing me for a loop. :thinking:
Cabo Wabo Tequila Reposado â€" Sammy done right on that stuff. I'm not a tequila aficionado, but that stuff is GOOD.

http://www.cabowabo.com/

If that red & white chicken has a spun deer hair head, you're a better man than me Charlie Brown!
It is "spun" to a degree, but a different technique than what most of the spinners are doing. I'm trying to learn a technique invented and PERFECTED by a fellow named Mike George. Go to his website and view the "Mustad Award Winning Patterns" section. Mind blowing deer-hair flys. You wouldn't have believed such things possible.

http://www.deerhairsculptures.com/About-Us.html

#10 ·
Cabo Wabo Tequila Reposado - Sammy done right on that stuff. I'm not a tequila aficionado, but that stuff is GOOD.

http://www.cabowabo.com/
That would explain it. My best gal is the teakillya aficiaonado at our casa and she tells me this is the real stuff. It wouldn't stay standing up for your flies though so I'd stick with the cabo. :wave:

Attachments

#11 ·
Ah, yes, the Patron. A good friend of mine (introduced me to the Cabo) who IS a tequila aficionado has fed me some a few times. Of note was a 3-day float trip on the Piney where he made Margaritas with Patron and fresh-squeezed fruits. Those were some enjoyable campfires.

#12 ·
I just went over and looked at the deer hair you linked to 421 and all I can say is wow!:eek: Well I could say other things but the word filter would get them, and I ain't the kind of guy that goes around them.
I can't imagine how much time is invested in some of them but about the only place I could bring myself to cast one would be in a swimming pool.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I met Don in Cancun.. and until that trip the wife hated tequila.
Then again if all you'd had was pizz you need salt and a lime for it's not really worth drinking anyway.
Yeah, I think most people who have tried tequila and said they hate it made the mistake of drinking some bargain brand crap (that wasn't 100% agave) and don't know what it really is. Remember the worm craze?:toilet:

#17 ·
Those are some fascinating deer hair flys.....wow.

#18 ·
Another red n white, smaller and perhaps more suited to the 8. Ugly, but they say the fish don't care.

I don't like these Partridge hooks, they flex a lot and are hard to tie deer hair on.

I'm also beginning to wonder how badly I need to be tying articulated flys for this trip — watching lots of Pike/Musky fishing videos and virtually none of them are throwing articulated.

Attachments

#19 ·
geezo Pete! What a hog! How many deer did you have to kill and chickens did you butcher to get enough material for those things!! Wouldn't it be easier just to put a hook in a chicken?:D

Seriously, those are really cool flys!!

#20 ·
Thanks Sharps. Yeah, you go through some material making these things.

That fly has about half the mass of the first Red n White, but has most of the length. Hope to fish a few of these this week to see what casts and swims the best with my setup. Not sure if the articulated flys are needed. Been watching a lot of pike/musky videos and virtually none of them are fishing articulated flys. But several of my fly buddies are all about them.

I'm also tying up beefy tapered leaders. I've found it very difficult to tie a knot in 50lb fluorocarbon. The secret is apparently running the knot under hot water as you cinch it down. Softens the line without degrading it and provides lubrication.

#22 ·
When ya headed North? I'll be at Black Sturgeon the first week in June.
Black Sturgeon River north of Thunder Bay?

We are going to be up there June 14-18, little lake north of Dryden. This is later than we've gone in the past, so not sure what to expect as far as what the fish are doing and how many bugs there will be.

#25 ·
More ugly flys. These are for the Smallies.

1/0 hooks, dumbell eyes, bunny strip body and hackle face. One with weed guard, one without.

Attachments