Under armour base layer 3.0 vs 2.0

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by pinwheel, Oct 27, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I've got 2.0, but when it gets really cold out, I still can't sit as long as I want to stay out. Do pretty good for the first 1 1/2 hours, but after that, I start getting cold. For those of ya that have tried both, is it worth the extra coin for the 3.0?

2. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I really liked the looks of the UA base layers. I had a set in my hands and then opted for their Capture Bowhunting Jacket. I got a UA ColdGear baselayer top. Aint they like $140 for a set? IF you already got the 2.0 couldnt you just add a slightly heavier layer along the way with your 2.0 and save the $140 for extra Vector's or something?

Just my $0.02. Just seems like a set of 2.0 and 3.0 is a bit of overkill, but on the other hand it is hard to put a price on comfort and warmth!

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just add a 1.0 to it and you'll be fine.:D

4. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Randy are ya talking about the black base layer 3.0 that is about $60 for each piece? If so I'd like feedback also. I use the regular compression cold gear now. I have plenty of stuff to stay warm but to shed the bulky cloths for 3.0 would be awesome

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866126&tid=129927&author=Gutpile]I really liked the looks of the UA base layers. I had a set in my hands and then opted for their Capture Bowhunting Jacket. I got a UA ColdGear baselayer top. Aint they like $140 for a set? IF you already got the 2.0 couldnt you just add a slightly heavier layer along the way with your 2.0 and save the $140 for extra Vector's or something?

Just my $0.02. Just seems like a set of 2.0 and 3.0 is a bit of overkill, but on the other hand it is hard to put a price on comfort and warmth![/rquote]

I wouldn't wear them both at the same time. I normally put on a pair of heavy sweats over top of the 2.0 base layer & then my insulated windstop parka & pants. I can stay warm that way, but it really bulks me up. Was just hoping to cut back a layer & stay just as warm.

Venatic, you been taking lessons from Rebel, ain't ya?:D

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866134&tid=129927&author=Refuze2falo]Randy are ya talking about the black base layer 3.0 that is about $60 for each piece? If so I'd like feedback also. I use the regular compression cold gear now. I have plenty of stuff to stay warm but to shed the bulky cloths for 3.0 would be awesome[/rquote]

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talkin about. But it's $70/set. I got paid cash for a little job the other day that momma don't know about.:D

7. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1866141&tid=129927&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866126&tid=129927&author=Gutpile]I really liked the looks of the UA base layers. I had a set in my hands and then opted for their Capture Bowhunting Jacket. I got a UA ColdGear baselayer top. Aint they like $140 for a set? IF you already got the 2.0 couldnt you just add a slightly heavier layer along the way with your 2.0 and save the $140 for extra Vector's or something?

Just my $0.02. Just seems like a set of 2.0 and 3.0 is a bit of overkill, but on the other hand it is hard to put a price on comfort and warmth![/rquote]

I wouldn't wear them both at the same time. I normally put on a pair of heavy sweats over top of the 2.0 base layer & then my insulated windstop parka & pants. I can stay warm that way, but it really bulks me up. Was just hoping to cut back a layer & stay just as warm.

Venatic, you been taking lessons from Rebel, ain't ya?:D[/rquote]
    It was just simple math. :D

8. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

[rquote=1866128&tid=129927&author=venatic]Just add a 1.0 to it and you'll be fine.:D[/rquote]

Not to mention more versitile....

9. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

I was in rebs class as well....

10. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    [rquote=1866141&tid=129927&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866126&tid=129927&author=Gutpile]I really liked the looks of the UA base layers. I had a set in my hands and then opted for their Capture Bowhunting Jacket. I got a UA ColdGear baselayer top. Aint they like $140 for a set? IF you already got the 2.0 couldnt you just add a slightly heavier layer along the way with your 2.0 and save the $140 for extra Vector's or something?

Venatic, you been taking lessons from Rebel, ain't ya?:D[/rquote]

Right I knew you werent implying that you would wear them both, I was just suggesting that already having a 2.0 set and then owning just a slightly heavier 3.0 set would be overkill. I know what you mean about maximum warmth out of minimum bulk.

11. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    [rquote=1866143&tid=129927&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866134&tid=129927&author=Refuze2falo]Randy are ya talking about the black base layer 3.0 that is about $60 for each piece? If so I'd like feedback also. I use the regular compression cold gear now. I have plenty of stuff to stay warm but to shed the bulky cloths for 3.0 would be awesome[/rquote]

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talkin about. But it's $70/set. I got paid cash for a little job the other day that momma don't know about.:D[/rquote]

$70 for both?? Where at?

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866158&tid=129927&author=Refuze2falo][rquote=1866143&tid=129927&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866134&tid=129927&author=Refuze2falo]Randy are ya talking about the black base layer 3.0 that is about $60 for each piece? If so I'd like feedback also. I use the regular compression cold gear now. I have plenty of stuff to stay warm but to shed the bulky cloths for 3.0 would be awesome[/rquote]

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talkin about. But it's $70/set. I got paid cash for a little job the other day that momma don't know about.:D[/rquote]

$70 for both?? Where at?[/rquote]

My bad, mis spoke. $70/piece. :whiteflag:

13. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    If they're like anything else UA makes.. it's worth it. Yes it's not cheap but figure the # of hours you will wear it and the comfort of said # of hours. :cheers:

14. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Attn Mrs Pinwheel,I believe he has something that belongs to you.:D

15. MO Deer Slayer

MO Deer Slayer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    bean field near you
    I have the base 3 and I love them but if u have to walk very far in them I almost sweat to death but they r the warmest things I own don't go any where without them

16. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Get the 3.0 and you'll be happy. I have the leggings and they are very warm and comfy. Not warm enough that you'll sweat to death but they do keep ya warm on stand.

17. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866239&tid=129927&author=cummins5.9]Get the 3.0 and you'll be happy. I have the leggings and they are very warm and comfy. Not warm enough that you'll sweat to death but they do keep ya warm on stand.[/rquote]

OK, you & MO Deer Slayer have convinced me, I'll drop the coin.

[rquote=1866186&tid=129927&author=Big L]Attn Mrs Pinwheel,I believe he has something that belongs to you.:D[/rquote]

Shaddup.:rof2:

18. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    I've got some secret cash burning a hole in my pocket too and I was thinking about getting the same thing.

19. Bowtech

Bowtech New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Barnhart, Mo.
    I have the UA 2.0 that do great most mornings and in colder temps I can put on a pair of insulated thermals and be fine walking in and am usually dry when I get to my stands. Just enough but not too much. Worth the money I spent on them.

20. hawgjaws

hawgjaws New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hillsboro, MO
    I also have the 2.0 and they do a perfect job. Not too heavy and definitely not cold. If it's extreme cold/wind i simply put a pair of regular long johns on over 'em then i'm good. They do nicely in keeping the sweat down too.