Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
That's pretty good. I see SWFA has some really good deals going on some of the Bushnell Elites right now also.

·
Registered
70,334 Posts
So far pure feel, looks and how they compare to each other on the bench. Proof will boil down to just how well the scopes tested hold up to shot group comparisons......and which is still working after 5 years of use.

I had a Chevy Vega once....great car....cool look....low 40's in the mpg tests....After a year the transmission locked up in 1st gear, motor required almost two quarts of oil for every tank of gas. Maybe that is why they quit making it.....but it sure tested great at GM.

For this guys test to be accurate he needs to have his test last a minimum of 5 years and then tell us which one came out on top.

Which will it be.....time will tell.

·
19,117 Posts
MCB the scopes tested were the scopes voted on by optikstalk members, apparently nikon was not in the run for testing, WELL because we all know they are a great scope, no need to test em really:claphands::claphands:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep lots of others out there, but i thought this particular group had a little something in there for a pretty good representaion of previous post by owners on this forum. so i thought it might be of interest. again especialy for the new redfields it will really be years down the road to see how well they got it right. if i was a betting man i would be willing to bet 5 years down the road most would still be happy. my gut feeling on it anyway. all of the scopes mentioned would serve anyone looking for a acceptable and durable whitetail scope as well as a few others outht there. it's the mention and comparison on the new redfield and the vortex, two scopes some may not have any clue about i thought would be nice for some to see.

·
Registered
70,334 Posts
Back in the day.........Redfields were the only scope to have. I still have one in my safe. It isn't on a rifle but still works fairly well for its age. I think I bought it back in the late 60's. I may have to check into their lineup since Leupold has a finger in their pie. It would be great to have a well built Redfield again....well...born again Redfield that is. JimH is correct when he says most regular deer hunters will be happy down the road 5 years from now with any of the ones that were tested.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is really really nice with the Redfield line is you now have another "Made in America" option! :cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
713 Posts
[rquote=1556858&tid=108300&author=Mailman]Back in the day.........Redfields were the only scope to have. I still have one in my safe. It isn't on a rifle but still works fairly well for its age. I think I bought it back in the late 60's. I may have to check into their lineup since Leupold has a finger in their pie. It would be great to have a well built Redfield again....well...born again Redfield that is. JimH is correct when he says most regular deer hunters will be happy down the road 5 years from now with any of the ones that were tested.[/rquote]
I have grown to be quite loyal to Nikon over the last few years, but I was in the market for a scope at the price point around $200 or less, then I would definetly be giving the Redfields a look. Plus they are made in the USA:claphands:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1556866&tid=108300&author=macon county boy]hey jimh whatever happened to swift[/rquote]

Swift is a very good example of how a decent affordable scope can turn to poop later down the road and try to ride on their former reputation.
was a time a few years back that Swift was considered a affordable but dependable and servicable scope but over the last few years more and more folks seem to be haveing issues with them. as things start to cost more to produce companys have to make a decission on whether to keep the quality and raise their price or try shortcuts with lesser quality parts and keep the cheap price. same thing happened to BSA, there was a time when some of the BSA'a were mfr in japan and where a decent quality built scope at a very affordable price. it's also why i don't just take any mfr's name for granted, at any time some knucklehead can make a cost cutting decission anf that quality you though you were buying isn't there anymore. now swift may get their act together once again but it is very hard to dig yourself out of that hole once you get a bad rap.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Mailman....I thought Burris bought the rights to Redfield and started making them again. Did I miss something in the last few years, (not that there's anything new about that)?

Vic

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leupold bought the rights from Mead for the Redfield, ATK bought the rights to the Weaver Line from Mead and Bushnell in all their savy picked up the Simmons line :bored:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.