Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new GLoomis ultralight replacement rod and I need a new reel for it. I've used this daiwa UL7 for years but it's seen better days. I wish I could buy a new one but they don't make it anymore. The wide spool seemed to help with line memory and it would cast a 1/32 ounce a mile.
Looking for suggestions on something similar.

Wood Rim Hardwood Audio equipment Bicycle part

· Registered
1,601 Posts
I bought a pflueger president the 25 series last year and have nothing but trouble with mine, upgraded to a quantom(sp?) Smoke and that thing will cast a mile with my St Croix 6'6 light action rod
I like the Pflueger President Spinning Reels - Models PRESSP20X or PRESSP25X,depending on rod length and action.
Mine seems to have lasted 5-7 years.With an extra spool the 25x will cover every fish you can catch with 2lbs-8lbs test.

· blu bogart
23,221 Posts
I bought a pflueger president the 25 series last year and have nothing but trouble with mine, upgraded to a quantom(sp?) Smoke and that thing will cast a mile with my St Croix 6'6 light action rod
I have never had a bit of trouble with mine.I bought mine after reading phil lilly of lillys landing writing he uses one and gave them the ok.I know he fishes mo than me.....that's been years ago tho.
Mine came as a cabalas combo,paired with a cabalas rod,seems like for about $60-70 bucks.
.....previously I used shimano's but going through 2 stradics in short period of time.....I no longer do.I still have a symetre but I rarely use that either.

15,014 Posts
edited this

I used Diawa's for years, just changed to a couple Bass Pro Micro-Lite Elites-MEX05F 4lb test on 5ft ultra light rods,(Blue Diamond Graphite and Fenwick Eagle Graphite) can fling a 1/16th jig a long ways. Drag works great and easy to adjust if ya got a big one on

The Plueger I had mentioned is a lite/medium reel that I have on a 6 foot light action rod, it works great too, but is not an ultra-lite, even though Plueger does make them..

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Pflueger President XT in the small size is a great reel for an ultra light rig. I have two of them, both on St. Croix Panfish series rods, a 6'9" UL and a 7' Lite. Perfect for crappie, bluegill, white bass, trout and the 7' Lite is great fun on average dinky bass. The reels are smooth, cast well, drags work great and for $80 seems a good value.

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
edited this

I used Diawa's for years, just changed to a couple Bass Pro Micro-Lite Elites-MEX05F 4lb test on 5ft ultra light rods,(Blue Diamond Graphite and Fenwick Eagle Graphite) can fling a 1/16th jig a long ways. Drag works great and easy to adjust if ya got a big one on

The Plueger I had mentioned is a lite/medium reel that I have on a 6 foot light action rod, it works great too, but is not an ultra-lite, even though Plueger does make them..
Seems like a good price.
Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Automotive lighting Screenshot

· Registered
13,452 Posts
Well you're comparing a $60 reel to a $160 reel. A Pflueger Supreme XT or Patriarch would be more on the same level as a Quantum smoke.

I'll second what @catdaddy said. If you want to keep the price reasonable, it's hard to beat a Pflueger President for $60 in the 20 or 25 size. If you plan on running something besides 2# on that rod, go with the 25 size. It will handle the 4# better. That's all I run for spinning reels and the only issue I have with them is a few developed a slight "tick" while reeling after several years of hard use. I just use those reels for slack line presentations instead of straight reeling. They may just need a good cleaning, but I've never broke them down to clean them either and they see a lot of use.

· Registered
14,408 Posts
All my UL reels are Quantum.

· Part-time malcontent
8,455 Posts
I'm in the Pflueger President camp. Hard to beat for the price.

BIL pullled a President mounted on a Falcon rod up from the bottom of Stockton a few years ago crusted in crud. Cleaned the whole thing up and still fishes with it today. He calls it his 'God Rod' cause God gifted him with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.