Uh oh! What about the cold air??????

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by SmokinBarrel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, I just finished the plot Sat. evening, just before it started to sprinkle.

Ph = 6.9
    Seed = Ladino Synergy (40%), Ladino (15%), Alfalfa (15%), Chicory (20%), Whitetail Institute Clover (10%). And then I planted Black Oil Sunflower seed around the edge
    Fertilizer = 6-24-24 (100 lbs)
    Acres = 1/2+

It was muddy, but surprisely, the ATV made it through, with about 5 stops to clear the discs. I started discing around 11:00 am on Sat. and finished around 1:00 (1st photo). Then I let the plot sit for about 3 hours, to allow air and sun to dry the tillage. Then I came back and raised the disc a bit, and went a bit faster to pulverize the clobs to make it fine (2nd photo). Then I used the the harrow to give it an additional smooth fine look, and to cover the seed. Worked great!

I finally finished installing the gate leading to the food plotl.

2. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Finish Plot - used the old harrow MechEng got for me at an Auction. It worked good for the final touch to cover seed.

3. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The gate into the food plot....just finished. I may have to close the gap between the pole on the left and gate. I'm kind of particular when it comes to things like that - it'll bug me until I fix'r. Any suggestions? The distance between the poles is 11' 8". Does anyone know of a place that sells odd lengthed gates??? A 11' length would do it....

4. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Removal of 1st log before discing. Those Husqavarna's cut wood like butter! Man, I couldn't be happier about that chainsaw purchase last year! :eek: (ie see photo with description - stump is way in the back. About 80 to 100 yds from the gate)

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Man that really looks good. With the different type seeds the deer should be lined up for dinner. I just wish my food plot looked half as good as yours. Mine has rocks and I mean ROCKS. Some that I have turned up are bigger than a basketball. Looks like your purchase of the disc paid off bigtime. Send us a picture in about 2 months to keep us informed on its success.

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  7. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Mailman - Thanks! It sure was alot of work!!! :D Of course, my cousins give me some guidance, and :cheers:

By the way, I use to hunt down near Kissee Mills in Taney County. I plan to go turkey hunting down this Spring. My ole hunting grounds. I grew up in Springfield, and call it Home. Honestly, there's some great foodplots near where I use to hunt. Mainly down in the bottoms of property surrounding National Forest. Some really great deer down there....I've seen some really nice racks....that would surprise most people online.

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

SB

Your place is north of Moberly is'nt it??? If so, you may try A1 ag sales in Moberly for a odd size gate. Their place is just south of the auto aution on 63 outer road. They build most or all of their panels right there, so they can probably build what you need.

Plot looks good.

:cheers::cheers:

9. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I think I'll give A1 a try....

I decided to disc the entire plot even though I had a good stand of Chicory going last summer on the left. I tried to rake the leaves off, but that was a lot work, so I abandoned that idea, thus discing it up.

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Which direction does the prevailing wind comeout of in relation to this plot??? Maybe the wind prevents leaves from gethering heavy enough on one side or the other, so just mulching leaves with a mower would be an option.

11. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Looks very nice!
    Good work!

Gotta love those Husquarva's... that's ALL we used when I worked for the tree service! :D

12. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Thanks for the pics and story! It was a lot of work, but will be well worth it. Looking forward to future pics.:cheers:

13. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've been watching the weather, hopefully I'll get rain out that today. Very Very NE corner of Randolph County (ie county is N or Boone). Although, it's suppose to get cold (freeze?) in the next few days....hopefully that won't kill the seed?

14. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Pertaining to your gate, when I built mine I wanted a gate wide enough for an 18 wheeler could drive through without any problems. It will take a truck that big to haul in the logs when we build our log cabin (if the wife ever makes up her mind to retire). I have two 10 foot gates just like the one you have and hung them on the posts on both sides. You may be able to get two smaller sized gates and do the same. Possibly a 6 foot and a 5 foot put together....if they even make such a size.

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Just did a google search on gate panels. I think I solved your problem. The gate measurements are all 6 inches shorter that the advertized sizes. So a 6 ft gate is actually 5 ft 6 inches. OK.....buy two 6 foot gates and mount them on the backside of the posts that face the field. Then mount the gates so that they will only swing into the field. The pins will be on the backside of the posts in the picture. This will take up the extra foot of gate that you would have to make two 6 ft gates fit an 11 foot opening. This would be a little costly but you can always just move the post to the desired width and match an apropriate sized gate. In other words.....build the post distance to fit the size of gate that you prefer. Just a thought.....possibly a dumb one but just a thought.

16. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Mail man- great idea. If a 12 footer doesn't work, I think I'll do your plan, or mount a 12' on the backside instead of two 6'. Thanks for the insight!! :D

17. Thanks for sharing the pics of your progress...All is lookin great!!!

Keep us posted as things start sprouting....;)

18. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Great looking plot, can't wait to see progress pictures!

BTW...did you have a soil sample done? Just curious about the fertilizer choice and poundage.

19. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    That looks great! Can't wait until I have some land that I can do that with...keep us posted on the progress of your food plot!

20. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    nice work and great looking plot but is that little old 660 enough horse i hear some one is making a 800 now get it and you could just pull them trees out of the way hahaha