Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30 or more years ago I had a pair of 1860 Army revolvers and actually used them quite a bit. I made a pair of holsters, one right and one left, and carried them both and yes, shot them with both hands. Never got very good with both and carrying two was always a PITA. Somewhere along the way I sold one of them and always regretted it as I had re-sighted both and they shot to POA.

My new destructive device, (read that Siberian Husky), was digging around some shelves he shouldn't have been and drug out several old leather holsters I hadn't used in years, the two for the 1860's among them. I cleaned them up and got the itch to replace the one I sold so long ago. Checking around Midway had Uberti's on sale for $299 with free shipping sooooo....long story longer I ordered one and it arrived a couple weeks ago along with a two cavity .457 RB mold to replace the one I'd sold with the revolver.

Two Uberti's in less than a month and I had to work over both of them. The 1873 had a stuck cartridge carrier and this revolver needed the hand worked down so it would pass the cylinder base pin. While in there I slicked up the rest of the internals. Good grief....they sure don't have much quality control these days. I also worked over the front sight, thinned it, and the hammer notch rear sight, opening it up so you could actually see the front blade. Anyway, with all the rain I hadn't had a chance to really put it on paper and see how high this one shot. If this one is any indication they're better than they used to be but still about 6 inches high, average. Here's 12 shots, rested, at 30 yards. 32 grs. of GOEX, Fffg and a .457 round ball cast of straight lead. the second cylinder full the group moved, no doubt due to fouling. The shots in the 7 ring were the first shot from each cylinder. The bottom from the first cylinder and the top from the second.....and no doubt probably some help from the shooter. The first group is the bottom one in the 7 ring, then the 3 in a horizontal row in the 8 & 9 ring then the ones at 6 o'clock and 1 o'clock in the 9 ring. The remaining 6 are the second group. Not bad for a brand new revolver and an old shooter. Oh, point of aim was the bottom edge of the target at 6 o'clock.

Precision sports Outdoor recreation Indoor games and sports Recreation Shooting

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
If you work them over like that, I have a couple I ought to send you to play with!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mine always shot low! I would have to put the front pin way above the rear. I did get a deer with mine years ago. Was pretty neat!

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really jmp? I'm gonna mark that on my calendar!!!! I've had several Colt type replica's over the years and they all shot high. I've read they were supposed to shoot high at 25 yards as they were intended for 50 yard and farther use from horseback. Given their extremely rudimentary sights I can't see them, as equipped, for much more than 'point and shoot'. Re-sighted some of them can be very accurate. I used to shoot my revolvers off my horses but I was never chasing bad guys or Indians....or running from any....so I don't know that 50 yard thing is real.

That is cool, taking a deer with one! I've know of a few who have but not many. I have often pondered taking one of mine out for deer but never could work up the courage. Just curious, did you set a distance limit? For me I'd have to cut it off at 25 yards. My 45 cal. flint pistol I believe I might stretch to 50 yards, given ideal conditions but, it's shooting nearly twice the powder charge for what is all intents and purposes the same weight ball and has two more inches of barrel.

Years and years ago....goodness, I was just out of the Air Force so it had to be about '75 or '76....I shot a gray squirrel running up a tree. I always accounted for that shot that the revolver shot high so it had sort of a built in lead....and blind hogs find acorns once in a while. That was with a '51 Navy.

Mike, bring them down. WE will work them over!!

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Mike, bring them down. WE will work them over!!
You read my mind!
Boss lady is done babysitting grand-daughter for the summer at the end of the month, so I'm thinking a trip in June is in order...

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a winner! I can now think of a couple other acquisitions that should make the trip....:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts