TWOFER Rebel

Discussion in 'Blood Trailing.....OPT IN>>>>>>>' started by Army SGM, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Ended up responding to two more calls tonight in Boone County. Struck out on the second one of the day but Rebel scored another recovery on the third track making it a "Twofer."

Attached Files:

2. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Rebel has been busy lately. Good stuff!

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Waytogo Rebel!! Good stuff. :eek::

5. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    I wanna go with you on a call some time just to watch Rebel work! Awesome stuff!

6. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

7. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Nice work! That shot angle sure does not make for an easy recovery. Those high-above shots sure feel like a gimme when they present themselves though!

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

SUPER REBEL..whata girl!

looks like a great shot the guy made hard to believe he could of run far

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dang, looked like a fairly good shot too.

10. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Didn't go into details last night because I was worn out, but this was a "unique" recovery. The hunter, who had guidance from an experienced hunter, shot the deer around 5:30 PM and knew the shot was questionable. The hunter said the deer was broadside but at the last moment took a side step making him quartering to the hunter and he was at 10 yards. He was told to wait in his stand until dark and come out quietly in case the deer bedded near by. He did not even check the arrow. I was called by the experienced hunter who just happened to be the father of the girlfriend of the guy I had already committed to work another track for in the COMO area. We decided to wait until after the first track and see what time it was completed and go from there. Called him back around 11PM and we decided to go to the hunters house with the intent of checking the arrow. We checked the arrow and it indicated at least a partial gut shot based on smell and there was a tuft of all white hair laying next to it. The hunter who was with us then led us over to a field about 30 yards away where he had said the deer had stood for 4-5 minutes after being shot. There was decent blood there and some of it appeared to be lung blood. At that point it had been at least six hours so we started the track. During the track I saw substantial blood. About 100 yards later as we were coming out the other side of a strip of woods into another field, I heard Rebel growling and I could see though the visible light the buck on its feet with Rebel grabbing it by its neck and pulling it down to the ground. I got to the deer and stood on the rack while the hunter cut the deer's throat.

If you look closely at the top photo you can see the exit wound in the belly with a huge chunk of lung sticking out. I am not sure if it got any of the left lung. I understood the deer to have been more broadside, but that is the challenge of trying to take the hunters narrative and the evidence on the ground and going from there. The deer was obviously weakened or we would not have gotten that close and I am not sure that Rebel could have taken it down so easy. In a couple more hours it probably would have been dead.

11. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Really neat stuff. Would love to watch your dog work sometime.

12. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
  13. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Well, go wound a deer .....:D

14. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

From the pics looks like a pretty good shot to me. Surprised the deer made it that far/long.

15. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Not with the exit where it is, single lung at best.... looks like an almost straight down shot.
    My buck last year was maybe 4-5 yards from the tree. I crushed entrance side lung and heart as he was a few feet 'behind' me, definitely a bend at the waist shot.
    The deer in this pic looks like he was facing the shooter and he picked one side of the spine and touched off the shot. Might be out to lunch here, but that's what I see.
    The post at the top of this page is what I really like about these threads. Finding the deer is great, but there is always something to learn from the details... and I always like to do my own post mortems on deer to see exactly what happened internally.

16. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Absolutely in regards to the post mortem comment. Regardless if I'm the one shooting the deer or someone else in the hunting party. Post mortems don't "lie". Have plenty of deer that I've sworn were hit in my "minds eye" that were way different than the facts that were gathered once you start skinning the deer out. Lots of information there for sure!