Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Populations of wild game fluctuate based on weather and habitat.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
The new normal . Lol
Youre trying to make a joke but youre actually very accurate in your assessment. New normal =within the golden mean

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Kind of alarming . I'm going to continue being concerned like the NWTF is.
You should be equally as concerned about deer then.... must be raccoons as well....
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

Reactions: jsr

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Hopefully since the population is apparently lower some of those egg suckers will starve. Kind of like when the rodent population is low coyote numbers drop
The reason they are so numerous is they don't need turkey eggs , they just like them. They like omelets but thrive on corn and grasshoppers. :D

· Banned
66,381 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts
The reason they are so numerous is they don't need turkey eggs , they just like them. They like omelets but thrive on corn and grasshoppers. :D
Theyve always been numerous. 1-2 million for decades. Thats like 5- 10 ***** per hen.... good luck...

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Corn and grasshoppers are a year round diet apparently

Reactions: jsr and Hawk

· Banned
66,381 Posts
This is one of the reasons I enjoy my out of state Turkey hunting trips. I get to see populations of birds like Missouri used to have.
Weird... what state has high fur prices still???

· Banned
2,351 Posts
For my area the habitat loss has been the big one! I've seen tree row after tree row dozed in for more corn or brush waterway after brush waterway dozed in for tile that it is pathetic! I had to bounce around alot and scout more than ever to find birds but I found a few and managed a decent season

· Banned
66,381 Posts
For my area the habitat loss has been the big one! I've seen tree row after tree row dozed in for more corn or brush waterway after brush waterway dozed in for tile that it is pathetic! I had to bounce around alot and scout more than ever to find birds but I found a few and managed a decent season
Thats the real issue, some just dont want to admit it

Reactions: jsr and bigjohn

· Registered
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No such thing as habitat loss around here has not changed for 40 years . In row crop country yes . Osage county is still one of the top countries. But turkey numbers have dwindled for a long time . So many more factors involved now to their reduction than 20 year old studies.
Do a 5 year regulation change back to what it was 2 weeks no fall season and no hen killing anytime.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.