Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a two man plastic boat for pond fishing. Can anyone give me some good or bad feedback on the different models out there. I know Bass Pro sells some and Rogers Lures in Liberty does as well. Just looking for a nice light boat for the back of the truck. Something my daughter and I can fish out of easily. Thanks

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
I'd buy a 12' or 14 foot jonboat. Get a wide one. A whole lot more stable and useful than a 2 man boat.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Nothin better for puddle jumpin than a 2 man jobber. I had one from Bass Pro for a long time. Surprisingly stable. Not very good for anything bigger than a small lake though.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Originally posted by DADAKOTA
I'd buy a 12' or 14 foot jonboat. Get a wide one. A whole lot more stable and useful than a 2 man boat.
More room for da cooler as well!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
I owned a Basstender 10'2" 2 man and it was incredibly stable. It was also very heavy. I have fished out of several 2 man boats. They work fine for small bodies of water. However, they are very susceptible to being blown around by the wind and hard to control unless you put a fin or a motor on the back to act as a keel. They are short on space for a cooler, tackle, etc. I have seen rods get knocked into the water as there is not much area to put them. I have sold my 10'2" boat and will buy a 12 foot jonboat to replace it. Much more room and light weight. Don't get me wrong the 2 man boats are functional and work fine, but there is a better alternative in my opinion.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,486 Posts
I had one, can't recall the name but for something that can fit in the back of your truck mine was great.

The boat with a little bad a$$ Minnkota was a small pond & lake fishing machine. I can see where a 10 or 12' jon boat would have many advantages but for something cheap and fun I'd say go for it.

How much are they going for these days?

·
Registered
193 Posts
i live on a 8 acre lake i use a 10 ft v bottom, got it for 100.00, two can fish out of it, its wider than the two man, there is a couple of the two man on the lake and the wind is a problem for them,
i'd look for a used 10-12 ft john, also a lot cheaper

·
2,424 Posts
I got one I'll sell ya if you're interested and can come pick it up in Lee's Summit area. It's never been used but was stored outside for some time so its faded and a little dirty. Two chairs, wired for trolling motor, rod holders, etc. $200. If you want pictures it will be a few days. I believe it is a Coleman.

·
Registered
32,182 Posts
Orsheln's there in Sedalia shoud have some also! Can't remember the name of them, but they always seemed to be pretty decent. They had hookups for a trolling motor built into them.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was at that store yesterday, didn't see any. Prolly seasonal though. I know the Bass Pro in sedalia carries them as well, they seemed to really like their stuff

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
I'm also going to put in a vote for small john. They're lighter and give you more room to work with.

I can't wait to go puddle jumpin' this spring! :2thumbsup:

Parker

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by KChunter
I got one I'll sell ya if you're interested and can come pick it up in Lee's Summit area. It's never been used but was stored outside for some time so its faded and a little dirty. Two chairs, wired for trolling motor, rod holders, etc. $200. If you want pictures it will be a few days. I believe it is a Coleman.
u2u at ya, I think:confused:

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had john boats before. I want something smaller. I have a Ranger Bass Boat, so I can take that on anything with a decent launch ramp. I just think it would be easier for me to drag a plastic boat to and from these ponds. Storage will also be a issue so a 8ft boat would be easier to store.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: Sounds like you may have found a deal for asking your question! :2thumbsup:

Parker

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Originally posted by rangerdvr
I have had john boats before. I want something smaller. I have a Ranger Bass Boat, so I can take that on anything with a decent launch ramp. I just think it would be easier for me to drag a plastic boat to and from these ponds. Storage will also be a issue so a 8ft boat would be easier to store.
I think I would go with the 10 foot.Seen a guy with one at the Lake,I was suprised how stable it was.

Me I have a 12 foot Jon.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin has an Inner Tube.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Parker
:cheers: Sounds like you may have found a deal for asking your question! :2thumbsup:

Parker
It does sound like what I am looking for, we'll see. Might be a good deal for both of us

·
Registered
614 Posts
Me and a buddy both have two man plastic boats and love them. I dont think there is anything more stable. We float the rivers in them and have even tried to flip them in the summer time on the creek and can't do it. You get used to the limited room and you can move the chairs farther apart so you have more room. We have used those things everywhere possible. He even bought a bigger trolling motor for his when the one that came with it died and it moves along pretty well. We have cracked both of ours in the last couple years but this is after like 5 or 10 years of use, and all we had to do was use the two part epoxy and its as strong as ever. The crack was also a result of hitting a rock on a fast riffle so they are really sturdy too, we had ust gotten lazy. All in all you wouldnt go wrong at all if you purchased one.

·
2,424 Posts
Originally posted by rangerdvr
Originally posted by KChunter
u2u at ya, I think:confused:
Back at you. Sorry - been away from the computer for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts