Two Great Days

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by MUHunter, Apr 25, 2006.

1. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    Finally back home with some time to tell ya'll about my awesome last two days. I know I won't be able to describe the fun I have had in the last two days but I will try.

Opening morning I was in my favorite spot on our farm. Its a blind I have remade for the last 5-6 years on a logging road right on top of a main roosting ridge. I was in the blind by about 5:30 and shortly after some coyotes started yipping back to the south of me and that must have woke the old birds up as they started sounding off, awwww the first gobbles of the season. The started to heat up pretty good by about 5:45 but still no gobble REALLY close yet which is suprising and then it happened, I could hear one drumming in the tree...Man I love that sound. I knew exactly the tree he was in (it never fails) but his limb was behind another tree so I had trouble seeing him. He finally decided to give a few gobbles and I knew he was the one I wanted. By this time the woods were electric and I swear I heard a dozen or more different gobblers. I gave a few soft yelps on my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE POOR VALLEY SLATE CALL :D and the whole woods answered back, it was great. Things were going so perfect until I hear crunch, crunch, crunch and see the ears of a deer coming over the hill. Two young doe decide to investigate my decoy and I just knew they were gonna screw things up. They were both about 5 feet from my decoy sniffing and doing the old head bob trying to figure it out all the time my gobbler is still strutting, I didn't want to lose his attention so I gave a few soft yelps, he answered back and here he came, flying right for the decoy and deer.....holy crap this is crazy, the deer are watching him coming in and I'm just sure they still are going to spook and my gig will be up. He came into range about 35 yards away but way to much brush for the shot, plus I may have taken out a doe in the process. He strutted, drummed, gobbled......the whole works while the deer , still between him in the decoy kept looking back and forth to him then the decoy......kinda humorous really. FINALLY, they decide to give it up and they slowly head south. A few more yelps and he sounds off again, but still won't budge. At one point the birds south of me were so jacked up this gobbler thundered off 5 straight gobbles back at them. If that dont' make your heart pound I don't know what will. After what seemed like an eternity of gobbling and strutting he finally breaks strut and heads for the logging road. As he steps into the clear the slight click of the safety brings his head up a tad and that was all she wrote. 30 yards and dead as can be at 6:10 am. I slowly got all my gear together and headed out and on the way heard 2 different pairs sounding off together and even had to stop to let an old bird strut across a 20 acre field before continuing on.....What a start to the season.. 23 lbs, 1 1/8 in. spurs, and a double beard - 10.5 & 4.5 inches. Had to work the rest of the day but heard from Dad he didn't have as good as luck on another of our places.....but I think I knew a place he might have some luck the next day.........

2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Congrats!!! Sounds like a great couple days!

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
  4. great story, and nice bird congrats :wink4:

5. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Thanks for sharing everything!
    And that's a mighty fine bird!
    :cheers::cheers:

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    WAY TO GO, MUH!!! Great bird!

7. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    CONGRATS Travis! Great looking bird you have there!:cheers:

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    you guys are killing me. great bird and even better story.

10. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    The only thing that could have made opening day better would have been sharing it with Dad, so I just decided to take off work the second day and go hunting with him. I talked him into going the farm I hunted opening day (harder than you think, he really likes his other spot). But I finally convinced him I really did hear about a dozen birds (not that he REALLY believed me) so I could spare atleast one. We were prepared for the rain and took my pop-up blind and set it up on the south side of the timber I hunted the day before in a little island of trees about 10 yards from the brush. The rain held things pretty quiet until after 6 am this morning but we did hear a few distant gobbles. Probably around 6:15 or so I spotted a hen East of our blind about 70 yards. She just appeared out of the woods and went on her way to the south across the clover field just as silently as she came. I had been giving a few yelps on my PV slate again when three gobbles thundered back at us definetly less than 100 yards away. Dad got repositioned in the blind so he could face East, the direction of the gobbles. It wasn't long and FOUR big toms appeared right where the hen came from and moved into the field. Two of them acted half way interested with some strutting for us and gobbles but for the most part were headed South where the hen had went. We knew there was a good chance they might return so we just had to wait. I was keeping watch to the East in hopes they might return when two more gobblers emerged from the brush. I hit the call a little more aggressive this time and they immediately dropped into strut and were paying quite a bit more attention to our setup of 1 hen with another hen and jake about 15 yards to the other side of the blind. They inched their way towards us but just still weren't totally committed. I switched it up and started cluck pretty aggressive with them and that was the ticket, they both answered off and strutted a little more our way. Just as this happened, TWO MORE, gobblers came out of the woods between us and the other two and they were headed right for us. At about 35 yards they veered into the brush to pass directly North of us but they were also pulling the other two down our way and dad has his heart set on one fo those birds with a nice thick old beard. I could see the two in the woods struttin to the North while Dad was keeping an eye on the two to the East. They were within range now but were standing to close together. They now looked as if they were going to head into the brush so I gave them some more clucks, and that was just the seperation he needed. The one with the better beard held up as the other went on and he turned to check out the calls again and Dad busted him. AWESOME!!! Two for two! Dad pointed to the North and those other birds were still standing there trying to figure out what was going on....too bad we didn't have another guy with us! Dad's bird weighed 20 lbs but had a thick 11 in beard and 1 1/8 spurs almost identical to mine. I hope the second week will be as eventful and fun but I doubt it can hold a candle to the start of this season......Oh, and I think I have a new favorite pic!

11. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Travis, way to go!! Congratulations and a great story!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jack

12. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    glad you all like the pics and stories........I was really pumped about calling in a bird for my old man.........I owe him a few.......plus I got to prove I wasn't no stinking liar, after seeing 8 strutters :eek: and hearing atleast 2 others I think I made him a believer of my dozen gobbler claim!!

:cheers:

13. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Congrats! Great story.:eek::eek:

14. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Great storys and great to be with your Dad...enjoy your time together...

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    great story and congrats :cheers:

16. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Congrats and thanks for the stories! :cheers:

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    GREAT BIRDS< way to go MU

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Awesome MU! Congrats to you and pop!!

19. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    CONGRATS!!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    I am going crazy hearing all these great stories and I am stuck at work. Come on Saturday!