Turnips got rolled yesterday

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Vector, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Well, the plowing at the farm is getting done a WHOLE lot earlier this year than it has in the past.

This means, my foodplot of turnips has been 'disked under'.

There is a TON of MONSTER softball sized turnips laying all over the ground now. Many of them are chopped up.

Is this a good thing? It can't really be bad can it? Since the tops were turning from the frosts anyways?

I took a picture of my biggest one I found next to my Bushnell Trophy Cam. I'll try to remember to get a picture posted tonight.

I hope these buggers being turned over is a good thing? The deer sure won't have to dig for them.

Parker

2. peanut1

peanut1 Active Member

Oct 3, 2007
    ofallon
    I always thought they would eat the bulb later!!!

3. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Don't tell Pinwheel, he'll be out there filling his pockets!:D:cheers:

4. peanut1

peanut1 Active Member

Oct 3, 2007
    ofallon
    Oh and I finally bought one of your calls yesterday can't wait to get it in the mail
    :banana-man-yeah:

5. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1880260&tid=130948&author=Whitemarsh]Don't tell Pinwheel, he'll be out there filling his pockets!:D:cheers:[/rquote]

:rof2: You'd need some REALLY, REALLY BIG pockets to use on these babies! It looks FUNNY with them turned up!

Parker

6. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    As long as they don't rot my guess is you'll be fine. It might be a blessing.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    hmm

kinda like these ???

[file]146009[/file]

8. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1880279&tid=130948&author=mx1alex]As long as they don't rot my guess is you'll be fine. It might be a blessing.[/rquote]

Kinda what I thought, with chunks out of them they might rot faster :shrug:

9. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :confused: I'm confused. Is rotting good or bad?

Parker

10. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    sure does make them stink.

11. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    [rquote=1880311&tid=130948&author=Parker]:confused: I'm confused. Is rotting good or bad?

Parker[/rquote]

I'm guessing deer would prefer a fresh turnip over a rotten one.

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880311&tid=130948&author=Parker]:confused: I'm confused. Is rotting good or bad?

Parker[/rquote]
    Gonna stank to high heaven Parks... dont know if its good or bad for deer, probably no diff either way but it sure is uncomfortable to sit around, especially if you are hunting facing the field with the wind in your face like ya should. :D

13. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I think that stinks.....

14. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    should cover your scent pretty good:D

15. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

If the Deer are hurting for food in their area they will probably eat them...?We leave the tops alone and the Deer usually eat them down and then dig for the bulbs in late Nov. and Dec.! :thinking:

16. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :thinking: Well, this is going to be interesting.

I'm also wondering if the farmer is going to make me go pick the rotten suckers up by hand in the spring when he goes to plant and they stink????

Parker

17. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Cant see why he would....more organic matter cant hurt.

18. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    the deer actually prefer the tops after it frosts which is when they turn starchy. like the others said turnips wont last long once their skin is broken especially if we get some moisture. the farmer wont mind they'll be long rotted up by spring...... sorry to hear about it parker i had some awesome hunts late season last year over my turnip plots.

19. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

They turn from starch to sugars from the frosts, my guess is they may hit the bulbs sooner than normal given the circumstances, or they will never touch them at all. Deer on my farm never touched the volleyball sized turnips I planted 5 years ago. They stunk to high heaven the following spring, but like archer 66 said its just added organic matter. :D