Turnips coming back?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by mrclean, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    I planted a turnip plot last fall. This past winter, it withered and was not consumed by the deer.
    This spring, it has greened up, grown, and many are flowering.
    I thought turnips were annuals. Maybe the winter was so mild they didn't die off as they normall would have.
    Can anyone tell me what to expect from these now? Will they grow all season and produce new turnips?

Thanks.

2. cant answer your questions but can say we noticed a few popping up with ours too

3. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    Me too. I also seeded clover at the same time. The clover is coming up some as well, but it looks like the turnips are back. Is that good?

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well.. turnips are biennials which means that in theory, they should set seed every other year... Maybe you'll get some seed-set this year out of'em?? dunno.

5. mikeak

mikeak Member

I've got the same situation,the deer did'nt touch them,I'm going to disc them under and plant something else.
    Mike

6. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    Like Booches, I seeded clover into my old turnip plot. The turnips were mostly shriveled up, leaving me with a good weed-free surface. I seeded it with a mix of white and red clover 3 weeks ago, fertilized and limed at the same time. The only thing I didn't do is inoculate the red clover. It's starting to worry me because the clover is not coming up yet. On top of that, the damn turnips are growing unexpectedly.

7. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I have the same problem with the turnips coming to life, So is the wheat, but after tommorow when I put the roundup on it I would say the turnips and wheat will be gone for good.

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I would'nt worry much about not having clover yet. 3 weeks is'nt very long for a hard seed like that. Once you start mowing the clover for weed control the carry over turnips should go away, unless they produce seed. If they do produce seed, aditional mowings should eliminate them before they produce seed next year.

Our turnips and rape finally got eatin off in late january and early february, so we are'nt having much carry over.

:cheers::cheers: