Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Turnip - radish plot

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Triple Creek Hunter 
#1 ·
Deer are really hammering my turnip-radish plot this year. They have been hitting it hard for couple weeks. Will be wiped out before long. Been playing cat and mouse with huge 10 very wide rack. Always just out of range. Repositioned a ground blind for NW wind. Suppose to get that this evening. Hopefully he shows. Have had at least 4 different shooters in plot last few days.
Never taken a buck with a ML was hoping for that but afraid plot will be wiped out by Christmas. Can't believe number of bucks using the plot along with 10 or so does.

#9 ·
I can walk a gravel creek to where I enter plot. Really good cover with high bank. I have a elevated blind on south end a elevated popup blind on north end about 300 yds apart and a stand in middle. Bucks are coming off big ridge just to west of plot lately hitting middle of turnip plot. That puts them out of range of either elevated blind. That's the reason for ground blind. Setup back against creek bank looking west.

#12 ·
Well another close encounter with the 10pt. He showed up at 3:30 about 130yds to SW. Watched him for 30 plus mins. He fed up a fence line and I lost sight. Around 4:45 couple does came into the South plot about 80 yards from me. Sure enough 5 mins later the big guy shows. He is feeding on turnips at about 75 yds two does in front. Wind was on my favor he starts walking towards me starts looking right at my ground blind. I could tell he didn't like what he was seeing. Came about about 15yds or so was at 60yds but facing me looking right at blind. Don't think he winded me but he turned and trotted back up the hill.
Deer has a 6th sense! Had I been in my elevated blind on south end would have had a 40 yd broadside shot! Thats 3 encounters of the close kind

#15 ·
How long has the ground blind been in place? Is the blind butted up next to cover or is it fairly out in the open where deer can see beside and behind the blind?
I’ve had what you’ve mentioned (negative reaction) happen to me a few times on older deer/bucks when the blind was placed up against cover. Ive had the best results popping the blind up in a fairly open spot where deer can see it, around the sides and beyond the blind.

#17 ·
Think he is just older smart deer. Had the blind about 60 yds N but was too hard too get a shot. He came out out last evening in a spot I had never seen him before. May stay out of area now until ML season. Have a cam in there that I can check easily from my Mule. Hopefully he sticks around. If not there are couple other really nice bucks using plot. Its been fun watching him and playing cat and mouse.

#23 ·
I wouldn’t say bad move, just needs time to soak, especially with limited foliage these days. My money is on you to place a tag on him! Good luck, your place sounds like a sweet setup, appreciate you sharing the stories and pursuit throughout the season!!!

#24 ·
Thanks 20 I really enjoy sharing my hunting experiences also really enjoying reading experiences of other hunters.
I am 73 and have been hunting for over 60 years but still amazed at what I don't know.
Just when you thought you had seen or heard everything about deer hunting something new pops up. Never too old to learn thats for sure.
Good luck rest of the season to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.