Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Is it likely trapping small plots in Missouri outside nesting will significantly increase abundance?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it likely that furbearer trapping on small acreage in Missouri(160 acres or less) that ends on Jan 31 will significantly increase turkey abundance in that area versus a control site?

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: wiser1

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you have made your point. Your an anti trapper.
Absolutely not. I 100% support trapping. Ive actually thought about learning to do it and was going to attend Michael78s class. But I would be doing it with the knowledge that it wont help my turkeys and deer

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you probably don't consider a 60% drop in the turkey population significant
"Significant" and "problematic" are 2 different things.

Plus, we havent had a 60% drop in turkey populations.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how many small 160ac plots are you talking about trapping? 1 every sq mi or just 1plot in the whole state?
I think its self explanatory. All things being equal and you can only trap 160 acres.

· Registered
120 Posts
The section I turkey Hunt gets trapped by myself hard..
That section has more turkeys then most others around here...
Taking out predators of any kind can only help..
BUT there are other factors like taking out nesting habitat that have hurt it more IMO.

If your worth your Grain of Salt trapping it will only help.. If your an Amateur that cant pinch Coyotes your not helping ****.

The right 160 acres will have every coyote in that territory visiting that area.. If its the RIGHT 160. Location Location.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The section I turkey Hunt gets trapped by myself hard..
That section has more turkeys then most others around here...
Taking out predators of any kind can only help..
BUT there are other factors like taking out nesting habitat that have hurt it more IMO.

If your worth your Grain of Salt trapping it will only help.. If your an Amateur that cant pinch Coyotes your not helping ****.

The right 160 acres will have every coyote in that territory visiting that area.. If its the RIGHT 160. Location Location.
Coyotes fill back in faster than any other predator. About 40% of coyotes are transient so those animals range areas the size of several counties or more and when a territory opens they fill it. Taking coyotes out in Jan will have no impact during nesting and fawning.

Font Number Document Handwriting Parallel
Font Document Number Terrestrial plant Handwriting
Font Document Number Paper Terrestrial plant

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
120 Posts
No doubt there are Transient Coyotes.
If you trap them hard there is less overall.. I've read those USDA study's that this information probably came from.
Now again if your a little hobby trapper running 10 traps.. You probably wont see and get results.

No doubt they fill right back in, but when you hit them year after year. It does make a difference.

I've had farms that decrease in numbers caught over the years, maybe other factors as to why it dropped, but i would like to think its helping.. Lmao.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No doubt there are Transient Coyotes.
If you trap them hard there is less overall.. I've read those USDA study's that this information probably came from.
Now again if your a little hobby trapper running 10 traps.. You probably wont see and get results.

No doubt they fill right back in, but when you hit them year after year. It does make a difference.

I've had farms that decrease in numbers caught over the years, maybe other factors as to why it dropped, but i would like to think its helping.. Lmao.
I definitely support your trapping and wouldnt mind learning myself. Id love to trap some cats and fox. It seems most guys tend to catch about the same amount off of an year after year.

You in NWMO?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.