Turkeyless Hunting Today!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JackJr, Apr 24, 2006.

1. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well I went today with my 87 year old long time friend today and we ended up turkeyless. First thing this morning about 6:15 we had 6 Toms fly dowen about 200 yards away and gobble at us for about 5 minutes, go into full strut and then just go in circles til 9 o'clock or so. They would not respnd to any calls period. These birds were acting like Toms getting down the pecking order. My old friend left about 10 and I decided I'd stay til the end. Started raing about 10:15 and rained til 11:20. Soons as the rain stopped I had 5 Toms come from the south and then another 4 from the north and go out in another field about 150-200 yards from me. They were shaking and trying to get dried off and then they all took turns at the full strut game. Also they were doing quite a bit of fighting and horsing around. Not a hen in sight this whole time. These birds would periodically gobble at my calls but that's all. Some more behavior that I normaly see much earlier in the year. Gonna give it another try in the morning and maybe set up just a bit closer to their roost if the wind isn't howling. No bird today but I could care less. Had a great show and it was free and got to spend time with an old gentleman and dear friend.

Jack

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Great memories there Jack. I took my dad as a spectator (his first time in the woods) and we heard OVER 60 gobbles. I ain't kidding, just had the best time listening AND it was my dads first time out - he's 66...

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I took my dad for his first hunt in 2002 when he was 82. It is a hunt I will never forgot as that was the last year he could hunt. He got a bird that day too.;) I'm glad you got to spend time with your dad in the woods.

Jack

4. xxx

xxx Guest

:cheers::cheers: Thanks for sharing the words with us Jack. I know you had to of had a great time......

5. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a bad day in the turkey or deer woods. Even when things aint workin out, it still beats just about everything else.