Turkey with a bow

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by mrmurph, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    OK everyone, I'm getting ready to go up around Chadron, NE and get after the Merriam's with a bow only and need some help.

I've killed a couple of turkeys with a bow but both of those were in the fall and from a treestand so I had a good downward angle with the shot and drove the arrow through the wing joint at the breast and through the vitals. Both of those turkeys stopped in their tracks.

For this hunt, I'll be hunting from the ground in a blind and would like some straight answers on shot placement. I've heard the old adage; shoot 'em high, watch 'em die- shoot 'em low, watch 'em go. I believe that has some truth to it but need some specifics. Sorry, that's just the way I am.

So, all you folks that have done this and know the best placement, help a feller out and give me some specifics. I'm not worried about getting the shot, I'm only worried about making it count. I'll be shooting a Hypershock broadhead with my bow pulling around 72 pounds. I've been practicing every chance I get and am drilling the target out to 30 yards. I'm pretty sure I can make the shot, I just want to know the spot to hit.

I know you all will help!:wave:

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    If the bird is facing ya, just above where the beard attaches. If he's broadside, right were the wing attaches to the body and facing away, the old texas heart shot. Good Luck:cheers:

MoBowman ```----------->

3. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I say get the "gobbler guintine" and shoot em in the neck (and tell me how it works season starts here on the 8th of april and thats my plan)

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    I have killed about a dozen with my bow and all were shot broadside, i like to take out the wing if possible. not to say front on shots wont take em down i just have success broadside. good luck in braska

5. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    Center Mass is where I AiM, but have NEVER hit one,:banghead: in at least 20 shots.

One more try, coming up....:D

6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I wish I knew the answer to your question. Unfortunately I don't know - YET!!! Although I've heard the hit 'em low watch 'em go, hit'em high watch them die, I also have heard people say the low shot on a turkey is better - especially near the legs. Good luck.

7. Peeknuckle

Peeknuckle New Member

May 31, 2006
    I have gotten one bird with the bow. Shot him thru both legs and lower breast. He took off with a dozen others. Had I not found my arrow, I figured a miss, but blood tells all. Found him 40 yds away and still alive.

8. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    MrMurph, how did it go in Ne? I got my first archery turkey this yr. in KS. Shot him as he was facing away and walking away from me, pretty much just above center mass near the wing joints. Exit wound was very close to the beard. Watched him pile up in a few seconds.