Turkey Vest

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Nicholas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Hello folks, with all of these new 2006 Turkey Vest being advertised I am at a loss in which one to choose. I look for your advice once again. So if any of you have favorites please let me know.
    :wave:

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    As of yet I havent found a favorite, most of them do the trick AOK tho.. Ive got a pro bass read head somethin' or other, have used it for 2 seasons now, i do like it... Soon as the cash flow gets better, going to get one of the Mossy Oak Super Elite III Hybrid Turkey Vests, their pretty sweet.. has zip off sleeves you can run em in the mornin when its chilly and take em off mid mornin.. has upteen other pockets, the best part i think is the seat, its 2.5", 1.5" of close cell foam and the rest open.. set on er in pro bass and loved it.. the only downfall is their like a hundred buckaroos.. the one i use only costed 45 bucks i think... really, just go to pro bass, try em on, see which fits you the best and suits you rneeds depending upon what type of calls and decoys you use.. good luck :cheers:

3. I bought a Red Head vest from Bass Pro last year. Has a seat back and bottem built in so that you can sit without having to lean on anything. I really like it. Try one out in the store before you buy to see if you like the feel.

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yeah novice i think we prolly got the same one, mine does that too.. i like the way the seat works, but not enough padding for my :ass: so i usually take a "heat seat" or i have one of those "turkey chairs" i like it, just too dang bulky for me, since in the spring im on the move alot

5. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I don't even own a turkey vest. I've thought many times of picking one up but havn't. I try not to do alot of running and gunning so in most cases my regular backpack suites me just fine. Now if I had the $ burning a hole in my pocket I would probably pick one up.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks for the info. folks, Bass Pro has several models of vests to choose from as well as Cabelas. Of course I need to be able to hold my new call safe and sound.

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Nicholas, i hear ya, gotta keep them perty calls nice and clean.. the only downfall to the pro bass one i have is there isnt any good place to hold the strikers close to the slate calls... there is a place to hold the call itsself, but no special place for the strikers...

8. turk2di

turk2di New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Western Ky
    Im gonna give a hard look at the Super TAT'R in the Cabelas Spring 2006 turkey catalog:banana:

9. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    How about the Tactical Tat'r Turkey Vest by Cabela's? It appears as though it would hold the call and strikers very well? Any thoughts folks?

[​IMG]

10. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    looks pretty nifty

11. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Functionality? Since this will be my first season I would like your folks experience on it's practical use!?

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Well just looking at the pics, for the diaphram call holders, looks like it might dry them out pretty bad. The pocket on the right side, where the butt of the guns comes up looks like it "might" interfere a bit.. id definately wanna put one on and pull up a shotgun, also when sitting down, just to make sure. Lastly, do you use dekes? I dont see a place to carry those. I know its got the removeable blaze orange bag, but is there any other compartments that would hold a deke or two? How thick is the seat? Do you get thirsty? I sure do, i always like them to either have a place made for the hydration bladder, or atleast a place to store a water bottle..

More or less, sit down, make a list of everything your going to take with you.. Heres a brief list of whats in my vest. 2 slate calls, 3 strikers, 1 box call, 6 mouth calls, 5 shells, water bottle, 2 dekes and stakes, 2 owl hooters, crow call, pileated woodpecker call, knife, marking tape, mask, gloves (I keep a spare set also in case i loose either, or i take someone that doestn have any) a small first aid kit, and lastly that i can think of is a compass, oh yeh, of course my lighter and smokes to kill my lungs with..

But make a list of what you have, or going to have, when looking at the vest(s) make sure that it will hold everything you will use so that they dont bounce and cling clang around, as well as how they are set up in the vest, are they easy to access when you need em? How is it balanced, id sure hate to have 90% on one side and have to cock my back to keep the weight balanced..

Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head.. HTH's :cheers:

13. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks once again! That is alot of information! Oh, I have a CJ7 as well that I flat bedded out here from SoCal.

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    No prob nicholas.. anytime ya got a question feel free to ask away... I love my cj, wished i could spend more time playin in it.. Got one all the way from socal, is it stock?

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    My one comment about a turkey vest is how warm will it be? With the late season and probably warm temperatures try to find one that isn't too heavy. I've gone to a fanny pack type of pack as I can't stand to sweat my :ass: while turkey hunting.

Jack

16. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Weather temp., good point! I guess there is quite a bit more to this than just where to put Parkers calls!

17. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yeah some of the vests to get terribly warm... the mossy oak one i referenced that i really like has full mesh on the back side to help out with that. Thats the biggest downfall to the one i have as the seat folds up inside the vest, locks the heat in..

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  19. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks Chairman, lots of straps and pockets on those.

20. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I said I'd NEVER have a turkey vest cause they were a waste of money, and I just carried everything in waste pouches ($2 in the off season at Wally World). Well, after the spring of '04, Wally World had a TON of the new Primos vests on sale for $20 per! This was obviously a BIG mistake by someone..... Well, I bought my one that day, thought about it, and then came back the next day to buy the other 30 or so that were there, so I could sell them out myself. They were all gone.....

This vest RULZ! I LOVE IT! I can't believe I went without one so long. I always put all of my gear back in the same place so I always know where things are at.

Get this one, or something similar, with webbing instead of cotton material. You're GOING to GET HOT!

Parker